Fuel pump access through trunk, where to cut hole? Need advice

DARK-5.0

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Leawood, KS
I've seen guys cut through the trunk to have access to their fuel pump and thats what I would like to do, but who can tell me exactly where the pump would be on a 94-95 tank. So I'm not drilling a bunch of holes trying to find it. Pictures would be a big help too. Thanks

Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

why not jus drop the tamk? in the amount of time it would take to locate were to cut, cut the hole. then fight to work in that space, it would be easier to just drop the tank.

recently did the pump in the 95--with the panhard bar--in 30 min. i've even dropped a tank in my ol 87 without jacking it up--on the side of the highway in the dark.

take your skirt off, buy a fuel pump the size of your head, sump the tank, and run braided lines all the way up.

Cause I'm gonna be accessing more than once and I don't want to keep dropping the tank in my garage. It would just be easier. Plus I doubt it was take nearly as long as dropping the tank and fighting to get the spout out and in and everything else.

Jeremy

Personally after replacing a fuel pump... i'd say you may not be able to get it out unless you cut the hole large enough... because getting mine out required twisting turning and some more twistin.

BUT ... it is on the right side of the tank.
imagine cutting the tank in half.. then the right side in half again.. its about there. maybe a hair more to the right side of that... bout close to there.

if you wait.. i can look at my car this weekend and get some pics up monday late. but im not droppin the tank to get em, but i'll show you close.

but again... i dunno if i'd do that. droppin the tank the first time takes maybe 45min if you have to go et the tools. then next time it will tak you 15min... cake, just don't have a full tank of gas or ur gonna be cussin at urself like i was. haha

Personally cutting a hole aint a bad Idea but make it like a access panel like they do with aircraft. But to actually cut the hole with the tank mounted would very stupid it takes less then 15 minutes to drop a tank and install it. now it would take longer to change a pump but not much longer.

Alright, you guys have me convinced. I'll just drop it. Then maybe while it's dropped i'll cut a hole. Right now there is maybe a gallon in the tank, thats why I decided since having a 190 pump for over a year now. I might as well install it.

Jeremy

If you're planning on cutting out your trunk, you should still pull the tank, so you don't cut into the tank. The idea of an access panel isn't a bad idea, but personally, I'd go the route bimmertech suggested, sump the tank, get a nice external pump (Aeromotive, etc), and never have to pull the tank again.

StangGT1995 said:
If you're planning on cutting out your trunk, you should still pull the tank, so you don't cut into the tank. The idea of an access panel isn't a bad idea, but personally, I'd go the route bimmertech suggested, sump the tank, get a nice external pump (Aeromotive, etc), and never have to pull the tank again.

Yeah if you go that route all you have to do is replace the pump with a piece of fuel line its generally pretty easy or you can also buy new a cradel with out the fuel pump where it is just the lines from granetelli. for future ref when you do the external pump.