Fox Fuel Pump Noise

nelzfoxes

5 Year Member
Aug 20, 2013
B960A42C-A08F-4E91-8213-DD22F00872ED.jpeg
Ok. I got the Daddywagon running. I have been cruising it quite a bit. Well I am starting to have problems. I was out cruising one night and the car starts to fall flat on it’s face under hard acceleration. When I get home I notice I can hear the fuel pump. It is much louder than it was. The tank was full at the time. I ruled out a venting problem. I left the cap loose and I siphoned about 5 gallons out of the tank. The pump is a walbro 255 lph. The application is gm because the inlet of the gm pump matched the original pump that was in the station wagon. Anyone on here experience similar problems?

• Sponsors (?)

Was any other work done on the car recently, like suspension, brakes or anything else? Point is, sometimes supply or return lines can get mistakenly kinked. Check all lines and make sure they’re where they belong and no obvious restrictions.

I has a front end alignment and the dude kinked my return line near the tie rod and it caused the symptom you describe.

Same problem going on here. I have a Guage and can see the pressure falling off when the car falls on its face.

Original pump, so I drained the tank and will be changing it soon.

I pretty much know every inch of the car. It’s a bolt on build that I just got running. I am gonna investigate today. I am leaning towards an in tank problem.

Ok. The build isn’t on this forum, so a quick recap of what’s relevant. I bought a new tank. Spectra f2c. I couldn’t get the straps to reach the mounting bolts. So I just went with the original fuel tank. Bad move. Apparently there was a rust and scale buildup that clogged the strainer on fuel pump. So the new tank has to go in. I don’t understand why Ford couldn’t make these bolts 1 inch longer. They are more like studs pressed into small metal plates. Well I have to do what Ford didn’t. I am taking them to work, pressing those short studs out and putting longer bolts in and welding the bolts to the plates. Aaargh!

You think maybe a 225 lph pump is a little big?
What approximate hp you got?
Whats you fuel pressure?
Can you check codes?
The 255 is because a 351 is planned for the Daddywagon. I need machine work etc. I am running the 24lb injectors and mass air intended for the 351. I figure with the return setup it wouldn’t matter.

You'll likely be ok, just don't run it low on fuel alot, fuel can get hot going round robin at low levels.
Good to know!! Thanks! I just got done driving around with the new fuel tank. So far so good. It makes power and smokes a lot so I am going to do valve seals. It’s a stock 1986 5.0 motor so it’s probably due.

Update. I should’ve swapped out the pump when I swapped out the tank. The car died on me. I don’t hear the pump priming anymore. Either the pump went bad or I have a wiring issue. I used a 20 amp micro fuse in place of the inertia switch (it plugs right in), and the fuse isn’t blown. The light for the fuel pump comes on momentarily when I key it on. I’m gonna have to drop the tank and check for voltage there, but I am leaning towards damage to the pump from my previous fuel tank debacle.

On a side note in case someone wishes to pursue a similar build the tank is spectra f2c, and the pump is a walbro f20000169 which flows 255lph. Would you believe even the fuel tank straps are still available?! Too bad the sending unit is no longer available. Airtex used to manufacture an aftermarket sending unit under the part # e2146s.

BADFF3D6-8FE9-4D74-9B3B-4517416667B5.jpeg
Sorry. Some confusion here. The Daddywagon is a 1985 ford ltd station wagon built upon the ford fox chassis with a longer wheelbase. The tank, straps and sending unit I am referring to are for that ford station wagon. They will probably work on the 1978 and up fairmont/zephyr wagons as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I dropped the tank and the pump works just fine. Apparently the connector at the top of the fuel tank popped off... I think. Well I messed with the sending unit and put everything back up with new straps. I drove it... again. Back in business... forba while anyway.

I dropped the tank and the pump works just fine. Apparently the connector at the top of the fuel tank popped off... I think. Well I messed with the sending unit and put everything back up with new straps. I drove it... again. Back in business... forba while anyway.
A while turned out to be less than two years. This problem has returned. The car died on me just after I filled it up last month. Because I could not hear the fuel pump priming I assumed fuel pump. But I heard ignition module causes similar. So replaced module and car ran for about 10 minutes. I was convinced once again that fuel pump about to give up. I ordered pump. I dropped the tank and found that high resistance or over draw amperage caused intermittent contact failure at bulkhead connector for fuel tank on the ground wire. Now I need sender assembly as well. I will put up pics soon.