Fuel tank cradle for dropping fox body gas tanks.

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
I just swapped out the fuel pump on my '93 ragtop. If you're about to do the same and you don't have a buddy to help you, 20 minutes making this is gonna make your life sooo much easier!
Materials required:
Scrap lumber
Screws
1" pipe nipple
3/4" x 3" bolt/nut and 2 washers

Dimensions are 19" x 36".

0rZPkX6l.jpg

Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood 12" x 12" and screw it to the back. Drill/cut a slightly oversized 1" hole and pound in the 1" pipe nipple.

eH8yoz7l.jpg

uDnRRlTl.jpg

Now you'll need an older floor jack with a lift out saddle. If not, I'm sure you can figure out a way to attach it.

QA5WtSml.jpg

ZQmAKiol.jpg

Secure the fuel tank cradle to the jack with the 3" long 3/4" bolt/nut/washer combo and you're ready to go to work!

wWX3tXal.jpg

rKRTG1ml.jpg

These pics are from when I did my '89 but I've used it 3 times since then including this past weekend when I did my '93 and I had 3/4 of a tank of gas in it! It doesn't fall over or wobble side to side because it's securely mounted to the jack. It fits all '87-'93 Mustangs. If you have a different tank in a different car, just size it to fit that tank. This makes it truly a one man operation! Thought I'd share, hoping it'll help somebody out.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

That's a great idea!
My gas tank dropping routine goes something like this:
Get car on jackstands
Pull jack to back of car
Wander around aimlessly for 30 minutes looking for that scrap piece of plywood I know I saved
Cut another piece of plywood
Put jack and plywood under tank and remove straps, unhook electrical and fuel lines
Pull tank out of fill spout and watch tank slide out from under car
Do what I need to do and do the one man balancing act to put it back in

Sound familiar? Yeah, I need to build one of these.

I once made a jig for cradling doors when you remove them to change hinge pins.
Jut 2x4s and screws used on top of a jack, amazing how cheap you can make something
useful out of common materials.

Reactions: 1 user