Fuel Fuels system?

MarineStang93

Jun 1, 2020
Oklahoma
Fellow Fox Stangers, I have a problem. I have a 93 very, it sat for about 10years before I could do anything with it, it is in great shape. I have replaced all filters, oil, fuel, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, checked all vac lines, wires and fuses. It starts with no problem and idles great but... after about 5 minutes of running it pops and sputters when throttled even a little. When I drive it right after starting it runs great for about a mile then the popping and sputtering starts again and it loses all power. Is it the fuel tank???

• Sponsors (?)

Fellow Fox Stangers, I have a problem. I have a 93 very, it sat for about 10years before I could do anything with it, it is in great shape. I have replaced all filters, oil, fuel, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, checked all vac lines, wires and fuses. It starts with no problem and idles great but... after about 5 minutes of running it pops and sputters when throttled even a little. When I drive it right after starting it runs great for about a mile then the popping and sputtering starts again and it loses all power. Is it the fuel tank???
Hook up a FP gauge and note pressure when it is running fine and when it acts up. Also TFI modules can go out when they get hot. The fact that it sat 10 years means there could be some varnish in the tank from old fuel, but I don't think this is your problem. If it is, you can run a few tanks through it and it should clear out. I'm sure the fuel filter could use a change too (when you say filters usually people mean air and oil).

Hook up a FP gauge and note pressure when it is running fine and when it acts up. Also TFI modules can go out when they get hot. The fact that it sat 10 years means there could be some varnish in the tank from old fuel, but I don't think this is your problem. If it is, you can run a few tanks through it and it should clear out. I'm sure the fuel filter could use a change too (when you say filters usually people mean air and oil).
Well, I finally got the time to pull the fuel tank... holy crap... the fuel was orange, cloudy and thick... What looked like rust chunks coating everything ( shellac ) yea I was told it had been pulled and cleaned a couple of years ago... not! Ok so now what would be my best course of action? Can it all be cleaned or best to just replace everything?

Drain all the crappy stuff out and rinse it, if you see any rust or rusty flakes get a new one, they sell kits with the insulation, lock ring, neck gasket and all the stuff that is needed for not a lot of money.