Gas fumes in car....

85GT302

Aug 2, 2003
NJ
My brother has a 94 cobra. Every time I drive it or ride in it I get half sick from gas fumes. Its an intermittent problem, but yet very annoying. Anyone ever have this happen to them on a similar mustang???

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same problem with my car, it turned out to be my charcoal canister. I dont know why or how these go bad but you can replace it for around $100. It is located under the front right fender (below the antenna). You will need to take the fender splash guard off to get at it.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave14 said:
I had the same problem with my car, it turned out to be my charcoal canister. I dont know why or how these go bad but you can replace it for around $100. It is located under the front right fender (below the antenna). You will need to take the fender splash guard off to get at it.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Makes sense, the charcoal canister is supposed to store gas fumes and then periodically release them back into the gas tank. If it goes, (or if the lines running to or from it are cracked or whatever) then I can see how you would get some pretty horrendous fumes in the car.

The EVAP system does store vented fumes from the tank, but it also injects them into the intake at cruise (why there is a solenoid for the cannister).

Ah just suck it up as one of the delights of driving a stang.

LOL I used to be driving mine and the car would start smelling like exhust and you could see the smoke coming from under the dash and in around the shifter. Glad thats fixed now

Well check for a fuel leak first before you dismiss it. If it's leaking, you will see it puddling.

Or you can use almost all of the gas in the tank, add a flourescent dye to the tank, add a gallon of fuel, then try looking for the dye in the engine bay w/ a blacklight.
Scott

MysteryMachine said:
Ah just suck it up as one of the delights of driving a stang.

LOL I used to be driving mine and the car would start smelling like exhust and you could see the smoke coming from under the dash and in around the shifter. Glad thats fixed now

What was the problem with yours MysteryMachine? Well the other day I was bored and decided to try the seafoam. It will smoke for a while after you suck it up in the motor and that is when I saw it smoke coming from the floorboard(when i was driving). So I know its exhaust, but I cant figure out were its coming from. I dont think I have any exhaust leaks.

check for gas leaks first like the other member said. If you have a leak most likley the area in question will be very clean compaired to surounding areas.id check all the lines to the injectors and all the way back to the tank with the car off and then running after if the leak isnt obvious. also inspect the area were the tank meets the filler neck at the seal. good luck

85GT302 said:
Every time I drive it or ride in it I get half sick from gas fumes. Its an intermittent problem, but yet very annoying.
Same here. I find that if I dont eat burritos before driving, it seems to be better. :shrug: :rlaugh:

Everyone is right on with giving the system a once over. I would also check the FPR vac line for fuel. Tank grommet is a good idea - they only leak till the tank is run down a good bit (intermittant).

I have not used the dye Scott mentioned but I keep that in the back of my mind for future use.
Good luck.