gas station pump constantly stops with NEW Fuel Filler Neck

I recently replaced my filler neck that had a pinhole leak with a new Dorman filler neck I bought off Amazon. NO MORE LEAKS!

now the new issue is I can not pump more than $10-15 worth of gas until I get too frustrated. Takes easily 5 minutes just to get 3-5 gallons in to the tank. My guess is the gas is no going into the tank fast enough and backing up the filler neck, no matter how little I depress the lever on the pump. Any ideas on how to remedy this without going to a mechanic again?

I am guessing my friend who did the install might have done something wrong, but he insists its nothing he did...

• Sponsors (?)

You more than likely pinched the vent line when the tank was reinstalled. You may need to drop the tank again and ensure that the vent line is properly routed and not crushed.

The Mustang gas tank is vented via the EVAP charcoal canister. IF the fuel tank is ever over filled then it's possible for raw gas to be drawn into the charcoal canister. This will turn the charcoal into jelly and block the flow of vapors.

+1 on above. It possible that the EVAP vapor line has been blocked or crushed. It's also possible for the charcoal canister to be blocked. Or it's possible for the CV vent solenoid to be clogged with dirt or insect nest.

Bottom line. You must be able to freely blow through the charcoal canister in order to properly vent the gas tank.

Here's a thread on my experience with this problem and my partial solution. FWIIW, the final solution didn't come until I replaced the charcoal canister.

Slow re-fueling 2000 GT
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/slow-re-fueling-2000-gt.801796/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users