Gas Tank Replacement Issue....

WQRed50

May 21, 2004
Burnham, IL
A few weeks ago, I replaced my gas tank (in my signature car) with a used tank. The used tank came with a fuel pump, sending unit and hoses. I replaced the filler neck gasket, fuel filter and basically breezed through the replacement. I now have an operational fuel gauge and the ability to take right-hand turns without stumbling with less than 1/2 a tank of gas.

One problem (I think) and would appreciate the feedback. When I go to remove the gas cap, there is one heck of a vacuum on the system. It is almost diffucult to take the gas cap off. I don't remember this before and I am a little concerned.

My ideas
1 - kinked hose running from the gas tank to the filler neck
2 - bad vacuum valve on the gas tank (on above hose)

Any thoughts????

Thanks in advance.....

• Sponsors (?)

the vent would prevent any type of suction. the filler neck just goes into the side of the tank and that's it. only other place for air to get in/out is the vent. so unless the vent is plugged, dunno what to tell ya. also the filler cap doesn't have an o-ring seal so air should, technically, be able to escape there as well :shrug:

the vent would prevent any type of suction. the filler neck just goes into the side of the tank and that's it. only other place for air to get in/out is the vent. so unless the vent is plugged, dunno what to tell ya. also the filler cap doesn't have an o-ring seal so air should, technically, be able to escape there as well :shrug:

That was my line of thinking. It looks like I will drop the tank again and check the tank connection (some type of valve) and the line itself. I really should just replace the old stuff with new while I have it down.

Thanks guys!