Gear brands

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
I'm sitting here looking at the rear axle out from under my car and hate to pull it apart just to put in new axles and center section. I've located a whole new housing for a hundred bucks, but havent decided which brand of gear to get if I go the second housing route. The current one has some richmonds in it and worked flawlessly under 500 ft lbs of torque. The next motor will be well above that, so I need s streetable set of gears that wont grenade on the strip. Any input on experience with diffrent brands is much appreciated. (currently looking at Richmond, FRPP and a couple other brands.)

• Sponsors (?)

Rich, personally I like Motive, Strange, Pro5.0... The Ford Racing gears have went through some changes and IMO they are not as nice or refined as the older ones, I am not sure who makes them currently.

I appreciate the feedback guys.

Rick: Really had not heard much about motive, so thanks for the insight and thanks for getting them to ship my parts out.

Wythors: Did not know that, guess its a good thing I got some mosers from Rick because the axles in the old housing are Yukons....lol.

Change 2 to plan 5:
I think I will use my Richmonds in the new housing with the new parts. Rick, any recomendations on seals and install kit?

The old housing will probably receiv a used set of stock 3.55s I recently remembered having in my Dad's shop. Axles and bearings only have about 1200 miles on them, so I'll buy the new pinion bearings/shims and keep it for the next 5.0 project. I'll have practice setting up my good housing.

I use the Motive kit R88RSKCT, it has quality Timken bearings, it is a complete kit minus axle seals....$125.00

Cover Bolts:10, Ring Gear Bolts:10, Pinion Spline Count:30, Ring Gear Rotation:Standard, Cover Gasket Included:Yes, Pinion Shims Included:Yes, Carrier Shims Included:Yes, Crush Sleeve Included:Yes, Pinion Seal Included:Yes, Pinion Nut Included:Yes, Ring Gear Bolts Included:Yes, Head Bearing Included:Yes. Tail Bearing Included:Yes, Carrier Bearings Included:Yes, Axle Seals Included:No, Axle Bearings Included:Yes
mgr-r925rskt_w.jpg