gear drive

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
Sorry to be a pain guys just trying to get all my problems solved with this car before I put the motor back in it. I have had several people tell me to put a gear drive in this motor. Is it really worth it vs the timing chain. any benefits from it or just a lot of noise that makes it sound meaner than what it really is.

• Sponsors (?)

The big difference with gear drives is the idler gear installed between the crank and cam gears so that the cam will rotate in the same direction as it would with a chain drive. As for the advantage in going to a gear drive, you'll eliminate the problem of chain stretch. You most likely will be able to modify your engine to accept a gear drive but it'll be expensive. Overall it's not really worth it IMHO. Most people go to the gear drive is for the noise though.

get a chain! it will keep timing fine. and they do stretch SOME but not enought to even make a difference in performance.

i wouldnt get a gear drive. especially for a street car. only thing going for it is that it keeps perfect time, no stretch or any sort of play possible, other than that its noisy, more expensive and it transmits vibration from the crankshaft to the cam which reduces the life of the cam and its bearings. the chain will absorb this vibration.

get a chain! it will keep timing fine. and they do stretch SOME but not enought to even make a difference in performance.

i wouldnt get a gear drive. especially for a street car. only thing going for it is that it keeps perfect time, no stretch or any sort of play possible, other than that its noisy, more expensive and it transmits vibration from the crankshaft to the cam which reduces the life of the cam and its bearings. the chain will absorb this vibration.

:lol: I'm with this guy.