gear ratio advice

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Give that I've got a T-5 and my 289 will soon be a stroked 351...what gear ratio should I go with: 3.50, 3.73 or 4.10? Gas milage is not an issue (not a daily driver,) I'd just like a good balance of acceleration off the line mixed with a high top speed. I'm in 2.87s right now so no matter what I'll see an improvement.

Oh yes, my OD gear is a .63 and it is the T-5z.

the gears are going into a 9 inch and will have trak-lok.

• Sponsors (?)

So 4.11 won't be to much gear? The car already pulls hard so 4.11 is going to be exciting as hell.

Can anyone point to a calculator so I can quickly figure up tops speeds and such?

Edit:
As I was -- Just found a calculator for it off of Richmond Gear's website. Damn, 4.11s it is! I should be just fine and dandy with them as far as speed goes. Hell, my gas milage will probably improve, just be being closer to my optimum torque point!

Sounds like im a little late here, but how tall are your rear tires?

Also with the new stroker you're going to have a whole new world of low end torque, you wont need any help getting off the line.
personally I'd go with the 3.50

If it were a drag only car , then the 4.11

grego37 said:
Sounds like im a little late here, but how tall are your rear tires?

Also with the new stroker you're going to have a whole new world of low end torque, you wont need any help getting off the line.
personally I'd go with the 3.50

If it were a drag only car , then the 4.11

To me, the more torque the better. I am going to have pretty tall tires on it, but even without,with my deep OD gear I should have a good top speed and without the lower gear I'll be at cruise at a very low RPM (as I am now...) In fact I'll need that extra torque for 5th.

I don't think that the OD gear is a strong gear, suitable for top speed runs. If you only want it for freeway cruising, fine. But if you want to go to an open track and have some real top speed, then 4.11s will have you max'd out at about 110 mph in 4th (assuming a 25.6 in tire). If you want 1/4 mile speed, then 4.11s are good.