gears being swapped next friday...what should I do while I'm in there?

the98stang

Aug 12, 2005
Clovis, CA
So the shop is putting my gears in soon, and I'm not sure what else I should do while they're in there. I plan to get DR's/slicks eventually and I don't want my rear end taking a sh1t. I hear DR's tend to take out axles and slicks tend to take out differentials. So, what can I do to make these things stronger? I know I can get different axles, but will those fit with the stock differential? When people talk about getting Eaton posi etc, are they talking about replacing the entire differential? Sorry for the noob questions...I just don't understand drivechain parts that well.

Also, what are those parts that can be welded? torque boxes or something? I need pictures :( lol. Thanks guys...

Tanner

• Sponsors (?)

I would do 31 spline axels, diff, weld the tubes, torque boxes, and get a rear girdle.

The best price on a good rear girdle I found was $140 it was a t/a cover throught DTS.

axles I got moser as the FRPP were on backorder. I would get the FRPP if I were you and they are availible as the tone rings went on real tight on the moser. the bigger the pain the more time the shop will spend.

For diff I went trac-lok as they were $194 through summit. I have seen eaton destroyed so paying $435 for something that is beakable gives me pause. If you don't mind some possible noise look at the new 3-pinion trutrac's. they are about $435 as well though.

I would also look at doing an instal kit depending on milage. I was at 65k and I new I could get away with not doing it but why buy new everthing else and not get the $100 kit.

I pulled my housing, welded tubes, then had it powdercoated as well.

the torque boxes are where the lower control arms mount to the body. they are just spot welded. you just fully weld the area.

here is a write up on that.

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=14

Kilgore Trout said:
Yeah, pump $1000+ into your rear so it can handle the stock power you are putting down...

Hell f'n NO :notnice: I do not think that is a good plan at all...

Why not do it now when the rear is being worked on? Better to do it now versus spend more money later on ....

What do you think a shop would charge to install a new diff and axles?

What differentials and axles are great products that won't put a huge hole in my wallet? I might as well do it right the first time so I won't have to worry in the future....

well summit had the axles for $225 I do belive and they don't charge shipping just a handling fee so I got my diff and axles from them. the frpp were back ordered so I go the mosers. I saw other places with about the same price but axles are heavy so shipping can blow.

I did the install myself because I though labor would be high at a shop. there are some things you have to do on a axle swap like change over the tone rings. I was also doing a full install kit so I did not want to pay someone to remove all my old bearings and races.

I pulled the housing from the car to do it. makes the gear setup alot nicer to do.

I was slow becasue I don't do gear that often. I would think a shop could do it in 4-6 hours. now that can be done a bit quicker without the install kit.

31 spline trac-lok $194 (summit) m-4204-f318
axles $250 (summit) moser
t/a girdle $150 (dts)
install kit $120 (summit)
gears (xmas gift) $150?

so for me I spent ~$860

hognutz said:
well summit had the axles for $225 I do belive and they don't charge shipping just a handling fee so I got my diff and axles from them. the frpp were back ordered so I go the mosers. I saw other places with about the same price but axles are heavy so shipping can blow.

I did the install myself because I though labor would be high at a shop. there are some things you have to do on a axle swap like change over the tone rings. I was also doing a full install kit so I did not want to pay someone to remove all my old bearings and races.

I pulled the housing from the car to do it. makes the gear setup alot nicer to do.

I was slow becasue I don't do gear that often. I would think a shop could do it in 4-6 hours. now that can be done a bit quicker without the install kit.

31 spline trac-lok $194 (summit) m-4204-f318
axles $250 (summit) moser
t/a girdle $150 (dts)
install kit $120 (summit)
gears (xmas gift) $150?

so for me I spent ~$860

Yea I don't have the right tools so I won't be able to do it myself :(

I guess I'll talk to the mechanic tomorrow and get an estimate...

svttech76 said:
all you need is the 31 spline axles, a ford truck carrier.you can get them out of a f-150 ( with 8.8 many had the 9.75) explorers and rangers. just make sure you don't get a peg leg carrier.

What do you mean by a ford truck carrier? Are you suggesting a used 31 spine differential out of a truck? :shrug: ...I'm confused

the98stang said:
What do you mean by a ford truck carrier? Are you suggesting a used 31 spine differential out of a truck? :shrug: ...I'm confused

you can do a used one out of a ford truck with a 8.8. all the ford trucks have 31 spline 8.8's in them. try to find a f-150 thats wrecked with low miles and get the carrier with the side gears still in it out of it.

then go to your ford dealer and get the taction lok rebuild kit for a 8.8 inch f-150 rear end. put new traction lok discs in your used carrier. this kit will come with the stronger f-150 spring. the rebuild kit is about 44 dollars.

Well I just talked to the mechanic and they want $500 in labor for putting in new axles, carrier, and gears :jaw: (keep in mind I live in CA, and prices are very high). I can buy $300 Superior 31 spline axles or Moser 31 spline for $438. Those prices are damn high, but if I buy the parts myself, they will only warrenty the labor, and not the parts.

They also want $325 for a FRPP Trac-loc, or $450 for an Eaton (which I hear tend to blow).

So what the hell should I do? I can get 31 spine axles and a Trac-loc diff for $400 shipped, but the shop won't warrenty the parts. But I think I might as well do this now, because the labor won't be any more since the gears are being swapped. Opinions please!