Gen 1.5 Coyote (2013/14) vs Gen 2/3

Devbo

Jun 1, 2021
DC
I was wondering what the shortfalls of the 2013/14 short block are. I see that it is very common to swap a gen 2 short block when going for big power with FI on these cars.

I have owned my 2014 GT for about a year, it’s FBO and I’m not happy with the power. I have been considering purchasing a forged rotating assembly to replace any weak points and an on3 single kit and push for 1000whp. Will not having a gen2 block stop me from this goal and what’s different between the blocks? Will the gen1 block blow up under a lot of boost?

It looks like I can get a gen 2 block for cheap from an f150 and throw the forged rotating assembly in. Does anyone see any issues with that if gen2 is the way to go?

My friends with s550s are telling me to just upgrade but I love the way the s197 looks.

• Sponsors (?)

You can make all the power you need+ outta that motor. Don't let your buddies talk you into foolishness. They all have transmission envy and this:

1622687073305.png

1622687141188.png

It's all about the grill. :O_o:

1622687250864.png

Thanks! I want to do it right, I don't want to spend $2k on internals and then have the block blow up on 20lbs of boost. I do not intend to go low compression for boost either, I would like to keep it at 11:1. I am planning to do everything myself as well (first time building a v8, I built an 240sx w/ an sr20det as my last project). Do you think I may need to send the block out to get looked over or can I order a forged rotating assembly from modmax and slap it in there?

Thanks! I want to do it right, I don't want to spend $2k on internals and then have the block blow up on 20lbs of boost. I do not intend to go low compression for boost either, I would like to keep it at 11:1. I am planning to do everything myself as well (first time building a v8, I built an 240sx w/ an sr20det as my last project). Do you think I may need to send the block out to get looked over or can I order a forged rotating assembly from modmax and slap it in there?

An 11.0:1 CR plus 20lb of boost on pump gas is a no go. You'd need to feed it with E85.
The Gen 1 Coyote block can handle 1000hp but you'd need forged rods/pistons and billet oil pump gears. The stock crank is already forged steel.