General Questions and/ Belt tensioner

287ridah

Jul 1, 2004
Hey peeps, this is my first post here.
I tried searching through the posts but I can't find nuthing.
I would go through them all but theres like 500 something pages.

I picked up an 89 5.0 convertible (auto :( ) and now Im trying to restore it to a strong running street car.

1. With a new belt, the belt tensioner is pointing to more then half way on its indicator. Im guessing its bad, but my dumb book say's nuthing about it. Plus my batt. gauge shows its almost dead when at a red light, then the car wants to die. I figure its a bad tensioner or alt.
2. Does anyone know a website or posts that give basic maintenance besides chilton's and stuff. For ex: cleaning fuel injectors, throttle body, and basic improvements like changing basic alternator to 130 AMP.
I changed the engine oil, transmission oil, plugs, etc, general stuff.

If someone could point me in the direction of such posts, I would appreciate it.
Anyhow this I a great forum
Holla

• Sponsors (?)

well sounds like your belt might be to big or a bracket some where is mis-aligned never heard of a tens going bad just hook a voltmeter up to the alt and it will tell you what it puts out at idle............... this place is better than any book you could buy......... welcome to the board............

88stangmangt said:
well sounds like your belt might be to big or a bracket some where is mis-aligned never heard of a tens going bad just hook a voltmeter up to the alt and it will tell you what it puts out at idle............... this place is better than any book you could buy......... welcome to the board............

I tried a stock belt from kragen. It fit but the indicator on the tensioner was showing 3/4 old. It should show in the new marker area. Then I tried one size smaller and it showed half way. I even made sure it was aligned right too.
When ya'll put on new belts does your belt tensioner show new. Meaning all the way left.
Can a belt tensioner go bad? The guy at kragen said yes, but those fools want $80. I might just go to the local pick N pull and see what I can find.

I'll test the alternaor.
Thanks for the help