Get your 05 / 06 Mustang at a BIG discount!

351CJ

Dec 11, 2002
It looks like Mustang Fevor is OVER!

After a weak June sales #, July Mustang sales were pitiful at only 10,577, which is ONLY a 127,000 annual rate.

If any dealer wants you to pay one cent over invoice, tell them to stick it where the Sun don't shine. Since the factory is producing 16,000 / month the dealers won't have room on their lots to store all their 05 & 06 Mustangs they'll be stuck with.

• Sponsors (?)

351CJ said:

After a weak June sales #, July Mustang sales were pitiful at only 10,577, which is ONLY a 127,000 annual rate.

Having spent much of July trolling Ford lots, there are few to no Mustangs available anyway. It's hard to sell what's not on the lots.

Since most dealers seem to be selling deep into their '06 allocation, I don't think the fever has ended quite yet...

351CJ said:

I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Finding a GT in SoCal for anything below MSRP is like finding an avocado in North Dakota. You're going to have to drive all over the state just to end up disappointed. :p

You can swing a deal on a V6 but the GT supply is still running below demand.

I went to three dealers in the Sacramento area and no '05 Mustang GTs on their lots. I inquired about pre-ordering an '06 from one and they wanted $10K over MSRP. I laughed in the salesperson's face and went and found a dealer who ordered one for me at MSRP. The "fever is still hot up in this neck of the woods.

I'm sure July Mustang sales were down... due to lack of inventory. And that is typical this time of year since the manufacturers and dealers are ramping up for '06 models. I don't forsee much cooling off of the GT any time soon. All the local Ford dealers seem to have 4 or 5 V6s and one or no GTs right now.

JonW said:
I'm sure July Mustang sales were down... due to lack of inventory. And that is typical this time of year since the manufacturers and dealers are ramping up for '06 models. I don't forsee much cooling off of the GT any time soon. All the local Ford dealers seem to have 4 or 5 V6s and one or no GTs right now.

It takes 2 to 4 weeks to ship a Mustang from the factory to a dealer.
So June sales reflect what was built in May.
July sales reflect what was built in June.

AAI was running full capacity in May and June, vacation shut down did not occur until the 2nd week of July, so for 2 months Ford made more Mustangs than they sold.

Where I am, V6s are stacking up on dealer lots. One local small Ford dealer has 8 V6s (no GTs). Another larger dealer has at least 12 - V6s. Someone else reported here on Stang net that one of the big Ford dealers in CoCal has 46 - V6s on their lot while someone else in FL reported a dealer with 38 - V6s in stock.

While I agree that GTs are still hard to find on a dealer lot, it is clear that as of right now more V6s are being produced than there are customers. V6s are now everywhere on rental car lots. I even saw a Hertz ad on TV advertising 2005 V6 Mustangs available to rent.

A under / over supply imbalance can shift quickly.
V6s are now in over supply.
GTs could very quickly change from shortage to surplus too.
My point was, don't let the dealers take you to the cleaners as any extra you pay for your Mustang will NEVER be recouped when you sell it or trade it in.

Approx 45% of all 06s right now being built will be GTs, from that number not even half will be manuals. Yeah there are tons of V6s, in fact you can't even give them away now, but if you want a manual GT, you're still going to wait and pay. Example, in my office we had 3 manual GTs to allocate to 86 dealers this week...THREE! I won't comment on how many retail orders for a manual GT are waiting for theirs.

Dyoct said:
Approx 45% of all 06s right now being built will be GTs, from that number not even half will be manuals. Yeah there are tons of V6s, in fact you can't even give them away now, but if you want a manual GT, you're still going to wait and pay. Example, in my office we had 3 manual GTs to allocate to 86 dealers this week...THREE! I won't comment on how many retail orders for a manual GT are waiting for theirs.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: Saw my perfect GT on line, awaiting shipment from the rail yard to the dealer on Thursday,, bought it Thursday, picked it up Saturday detailed and ready to go with 6 miles on it. From find to order to delivery...40 hours :lol: And not a single compromise in how it was optioned out.. :lol: Not sure how I got so lucky,, but I'm not complaining. I did not buy the first ones on the lot (wife is a service advisor at a dealership) Because I was not willing to order and wait,,,and wait,,,and wait. Paying a little extra was ok with me,, just not the wait. Best of luck to all of you who have oredered a late MY ’05, turned ’06.. or worse yet the MY ’06 buyers. I really hope you get your car soon.. Waiting is murder

bronco78 said:
I really hope you get your car soon.. Waiting is murder
:D Waiting is only hard for those who have no patience :D I'm 46 years old and have had several fast cars I've built myself, including a 67 big block Stang ( 427, 4 speed, dual fours,etc) and presently have a 331-sixpack equipped, 4 speed 89 Ranger. The longer it takes for the 06 to show up, the less my notes are going to be. :D And this in turn gives me more gas money to throw into the 06 when it shows up. :nice:

D.Hearne said:
:D Waiting is only hard for those who have no patience :D I'm 46 years old and have had several fast cars I've built myself, including a 67 big block Stang ( 427, 4 speed, dual fours,etc) and presently have a 331-sixpack equipped, 4 speed 89 Ranger. The longer it takes for the 06 to show up, the less my notes are going to be. :D And this in turn gives me more gas money to throw into the 06 when it shows up. :nice:

I'm just a few years behind you,, have built several fast cars, and lots more fast off road vehicles.. Owned a bunch of new vehicles and motorcycles over the years.... and I've never learned how to spell, that nasty "P" word.. never mind.. employed it. I save all that stuff for my day job... where life matters by choices made.. For the toys ,, it's just money.

Never the less,, you are correct… a little,,paie,,,peia,,patein….ahh, you know what I mean.. goes a long ways.

jfischer said:
Having spent much of July trolling Ford lots, there are few to no Mustangs available anyway. It's hard to sell what's not on the lots.

Since most dealers seem to be selling deep into their '06 allocation, I don't think the fever has ended quite yet...

Did some more lot trolling. At several different dealers within an hour of my house I found over 50 V6s , the majority of which are convertibles. Only saw 1 GT sitting on a dealer's lot, also a vert.

I'm in no rush, I've only got 26K on my 01 GT, I can wait for an 06 with the new dark IUP. :D

351CJ said:
Did some more lot trolling. At several different dealers within an hour of my house I found over 50 V6s

Did you actually visit the lots, or search on-line? I've been physically to every major Ford dealer in Denver, and there are very few Mustangs here. A few V6's scattered here and there, and obviously no GTs.

I remember reading that some dealers in the country had tons on the lots, while other parts of the country had none. Trust me, there are few to none to be had in the Denver area right now.

Out here in Phoenix almost no coupes are to be found on Ford lots (that includes GT's AND V-6's). What seems much easier to find, however, are Vert's. For some reason they don't seem to be selling nearly as well as the dealers thought they would.

At one dealership two weeks ago I saw 10 Vert's sitting on the lot. They were a pretty even mix of V-6's and GT's. On another dealership lot in central Phoenix I saw about a half dozen vert's but again no coupes.

jfischer said:
Did you actually visit the lots, or search on-line.

Visited several dealers, I live in crowded New England. There is a Ford dealer on almost every corner up here.
A friend visited some others that I didn't go to and we compared notes.
Was also surprised that the smaller dealers had the most Mustangs (10 on one's lot). A couple of the larger dealers had next to nothing (like 2 V6s)

I was surprised to see so many verts. Interesting that martimus found the same thing, lots of V6 verts only a few coupes, even V6 coupes.

I'd guess that the V6 verts aren't selling because they are so expensive. Several had stickers over $29K, yes for a V6 vert.