Getting a strange Clunking noise

97woodward

Feb 25, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I just got my 4.10s and my Bullitt Suspenion Kit put into my 97 GT (auto) two days ago. I also got MM RLCA's and MM CC Plates installed as well as new Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance Tires. My car has a TransGo kit on it right now (that im going to be taking off) and a trans cooler.

Since Ive had my car back the suspension feels pretty good, pretty stiff though. I have been getting this strange clunking noise though. It will happen slightly when I start the car. But the noise is much more noticable whenever I shift into reverse. Also, I seem to be hearing it when i drive over bumpy areas on the road, kind of sounds like the card about fall apart, I know its hard to diagnose sounds over the computer buy if you guys have any ideas let me know. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I just got my 4.10s and my Bullitt Suspenion Kit put into my 97 GT (auto) two days ago. I also got MM RLCA's and MM CC Plates installed as well as new Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance Tires. My car has a TransGo kit on it right now (that im going to be taking off) and a trans cooler.

Since Ive had my car back the suspension feels pretty good, pretty stiff though. I have been getting this strange clunking noise though. It will happen slightly when I start the car. But the noise is much more noticable whenever I shift into reverse. Also, I seem to be hearing it when i drive over bumpy areas on the road, kind of sounds like the card about fall apart, I know its hard to diagnose sounds over the computer buy if you guys have any ideas let me know. Thanks!

Perfect thread. I was just about to post the same thing. My car started doing exactly what you just described yesterday. I can't tell where its coming from. It dose sound some like something is going to fall off. I hope its not transmission related. I think mine started because of going over to many pot holes.

First thing that comes to my mind when you say it clunks going into reverse, would normally be a U-joint. I'd get under the car with the rear wheels up, and see how much slop there is in the joints. If they look ok, then have someone kick at the tires from the back and watch your control arms where the bolts go through. My mom's upper control arms have slop in the holes the bolts go through, and it causes a similar clunk.

If it sounds like an old station wagon going over bumps it is a good possibility it can be you front end suspension. What did it for me was my ball joints seized and every time i sat in car it made a horrible noise, or when i turned/went over speed bumps, even pot holes, i got them replaced.

My buddy has an 01 GT and he recently had the same issue. The first thought was the Strut mounts (You may want to try replacing these). They are fairly inexpensive. The stock mounts are made of plastic, they will break over time and it allows the strut to 'pop' back and forth under acceleration or while shifting (this is what we were told).

Now after replacing strut mounts, struts, and springs. The problem did not go way. We finally started to notice that you could somewhat feel it in the floor pan of the car. To make a long story short $100 later for a new transmission mount and an hour or so on the lift. . . popping gone. Hope this helps

thanks for the replys, I just had the Bullitt Suspension Kit (shocks,struts,springs,swaybars) , MM CC plates, MM RLCA's and 4.10 gears put in. I also got a full tune up done as well as a transmission diagnostic, trans cooler, and Shift kit put on. The car was having this problem before i took it to my mechanic but it was only mildly doing it and i forgot to ask him to check

However, my car has had a very weird problem since i bought it two years ago, where it stalls out when im at a stopsign or light for no reason, no check engine lights or anything come on. It takes me about 15 min to start it back up and the time it takes to start is increasing everytime it happens. However it has only randomly stalled out like 5 times in two years so i never have a chance to get it to a mechanic. Once it stalls, if it sits for like 15-20 min it will fire up like it never happened.

The last time it did this was 1 month ago and after about 20 min of cranking the key it finally fired up but right before it started it made this strange clunking noise like something came loose. And like i said before it does it almost every time i start the car a little and / or when i put it into reverse. Its like the movement of the car starting or when i put it into reverse may be causing the clunking noise. It also seems like it might make that noise when i hit big potholes, but since my exhaust is so loud at that point I cant really tell if its the same noise.

I know its really hard to diagnose a noise over the internet but thanks for the help!

My buddy has an 01 GT and he recently had the same issue. The first thought was the Strut mounts (You may want to try replacing these). They are fairly inexpensive. The stock mounts are made of plastic, they will break over time and it allows the strut to 'pop' back and forth under acceleration or while shifting (this is what we were told).

Now after replacing strut mounts, struts, and springs. The problem did not go way. We finally started to notice that you could somewhat feel it in the floor pan of the car. To make a long story short $100 later for a new transmission mount and an hour or so on the lift. . . popping gone. Hope this helps

Wonder if this is my problem because I can feel it thru the floor. I'm taken her to Ford tomorrow.

On my half hour drive to work today this is what I concluded.

1. Happens weather I go over a bump or just driving on a normal road.
2. Happens at any speed and doesn’t change if I go faster or slower.
3. It doesn’t matter if I move the wheel left or right.
4. I can feel it thru the floor boards.

This leads me to believe it is not an issue with my suspension.

On my half hour drive to work today this is what I concluded.

1. Happens weather I go over a bump or just driving on a normal road.
2. Happens at any speed and doesn’t change if I go faster or slower.
3. It doesn’t matter if I move the wheel left or right.
4. I can feel it thru the floor boards.

This leads me to believe it is not an issue with my suspension.

Starting to sound a lot like the problem with my friends GT honestly. His did it pretty much all the time. Does it get worse in rougher road conditions?

Yup it dose. Is it safe to drive?

Yeah. He drove his like that for months I know because we didn't know what it was. The mount was trashed but it didn't seem to hurt anything. Don't think you have anything to worry about. I would still recommend replacing it but it will be fine for awhile if you don't have the cash or want to have someone check it and be sure that is what it is.