Engine Getting my GT40 Intake ported, to Keep EGR or Not?

Now wait, you are endorsing an intake good on a 347, yet questioning if the heads need more intake and TB than the one built for the 302 the OP is using? It sounds like a up combination suggestion to me.
Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear, I watched some of the video comparisons of his ported explorer to a systemax II. And it would appear the porter is using the comparison of the two as a selling point.
While I don't necessarily disagree with some port matching of the explorer lower to the heads, I really wouldn't want to pay for it. And i certainly wouldn't have it opened up to 75mm. Hell, an RPMII only comes prepared to accept a 70mm and i've seen that intake make 360rwhp all motor on a stock shortblock.

For the OP, I really don't mind the E cam, online guys hate it, but i've seen it run pretty well. What i would be more concerned about is factory explorer valve springs. I know what it's like to float valves and it's really not if, it's when.
The gt40 iron setup is a budget build (hence why i don't like investing more money in it, if someone has more money, they might as well use better parts), so a budget cam like an E isn't a terrible choice.

• Sponsors (?)

I would save my money on the explorer intake, iron heads and dyno tune for now and talk to the shop that will be doing your tuning... since you have to have a tune because that is what the previous owner said. They will tell you what they would be most comfortable tuning to get the best result and I would put money on them skipping the ported explorer in favor of a holley systemax2 intake or RPM2 intake. Or just run what you have, skip the port work and tuning and enjoy the car. PS I doubt you need a tune in the cars current mod state.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
It can be very frustrating giving advise to new folks. Nothing derogatory meant by that. I've read the whole thread. There's excellent advise in here from those of us that have actually done the mods in question. Most times i read these threads, the OP reasons away almost every sound bit of advise given. It's almost like their mind was made up before they ever asked the question. Hey, it keeps the forum busy so woohoo. Most of us have been in that spot where we THINK we're saving money buying some performance with plans of buying more later. Most of the time this is bad reasoning I've rarely seen a time when it's better to buy the cheapo parts (or pour money into the existing inferior parts) and spend all the money on gaskets, tune?, etc etc. Buy good stuff once and be done with it. Buy one good intake and use it forever. Buy one good set of heads and they will last way longer than you think. Don't confuse this to mean buy the best heads available because you may not be able to afford them. But buy really good ones. Later on have those same heads done to the next level by an extremely reputable shop. Same with the intake. Or.... sell it and buy up. Pouring money into a stock type intake will lose you every single penny of the work. If you start with an Edelbrock RPM and decide a few years later to go better it will sell in one day.
Even a box stock set of AFR heads are miles better than anything you can do to the gt40s. I've been where you are. Wish I'd have listened to the good advise. I'd have been money and HP ahead.
Good luck.

"Most times i read these threads, the OP reasons away almost every sound bit of advise given. It's almost like their mind was made up before they ever asked the question. Hey, it keeps the forum busy so woohoo."

I asked two questions at the start of this thread. It was to keep my EGR or not and also whether drilling the ACT hole was required. I did not ask should I change my cam? Should I change my heads? Should I buy a new intake? Should I change my throttlebody? I was originally going to just delete my EGR but after reading posts that relate to my original questions I'm going to keep it.

The only reason I included the additional information about the mods already installed on my car was incase they affect whether I should keep or not keep EGR. I've been reading the thread, I've been taking into consideration others points just because Im not calling the porter and cancelling my invoice immediately, ripping out my cam, my heads and scouring craigslist for an intake manifold does not mean I do not consider your guys points.

"Most times i read these threads, the OP reasons away almost every sound bit of advise given. It's almost like their mind was made up before they ever asked the question. Hey, it keeps the forum busy so woohoo."

I asked two questions at the start of this thread. It was to keep my EGR or not and also whether drilling the ACT hole was required. I did not ask should I change my cam? Should I change my heads? Should I buy a new intake? Should I change my throttlebody? I was originally going to just delete my EGR but after reading posts that relate to my original questions I'm going to keep it.

The only reason I included the additional information about the mods already installed on my car was incase they affect whether I should keep or not keep EGR. I've been reading the thread, I've been taking into consideration others points just because Im not calling the porter and cancelling my invoice immediately, ripping out my cam, my heads and scouring craigslist for an intake manifold does not mean I do not consider your guys points.
Chill. It was in general. Not just your thread but tons of previous ones. My post was just one more you can use or not to consider what you want to do. The EGR is completely irrelevant. It's the rest of the discussion.... but hey... this was my point.

Flow numbers can vary depending on flow testing equipment, technique and calibration and we've never raced flow benches. Look for dyno and even better track slips to tell how well an intake works. Some great flowing intake have not worked out all that well by the track data and that's where I'll leave that.

• Agree
I was hoping you would stop by. Your porting, flow numbers, and engine results are relevant enough to be the expert to know if a free GT-40/Explorer intake is worth the money to port vs the other suggested ones for this application.

I hope so, because I still have mine waiting for aluminum heads after another project is together and running. I do not like more than one toy torn apart at a time.

You can probably tell him (by PM) if he’s overpaying.:D

Flow numbers can vary depending on flow testing equipment, technique and calibration and we've never raced flow benches. Look for dyno and even better track slips to tell how well an intake works. Some great flowing intake have not worked out all that well by the track data and that's where I'll leave that.

Better pic

EC247ECC-87D6-419F-945A-F7FA05012EEC.jpeg
Mike, question - in this pic of your vacuum tree, where did you get it? I ordered a LMR piece but the two smaller lines hit on the upper as I turn the threads? Did you have to bend these lines or do you have a different model? I also saw some of your reference pics that have an aluminum one? Regardless, mine does not fit and before I do anything I wanted to ask your advice to see before I go breaking something! Thanks!

Mike, question - in this pic of your vacuum tree, where did you get it? I ordered a LMR piece but the two smaller lines hit on the upper as I turn the threads? Did you have to bend these lines or do you have a different model? I also saw some of your reference pics that have an aluminum one? Regardless, mine does not fit and before I do anything I wanted to ask your advice to see before I go breaking something! Thanks!

that’s just an OEM 87-93 HO intake vac tree. The silver one in other pics is from some other Ford vehicle and I later swapped to this one in the above pic.

yes, it’s tight. I did gently bend the tubes to give me clearance to screw the vac tree in. Didn’t need much.

I assume you’ve drilled/tapped for it otherwise I would say when you run the drill in, to “cheat” away from the manifold a bit to give you more clearance.

Here’s how close mine get, and I did have to bend a tad

8CB74AD9-079B-414E-8388-130835F655EC.jpeg
Yeah, I should have cheated a bit but as luck would have it I drilled and tapped dead center of the original hole without having the vacuum tree in hand! Lesson learned. Your pic has much less of an angle than what I have, pic attached for comparison. I will have to be careful in bending without breaking but I think I can do it. I may search some of the local salvage yards to see if I can find a back up, just in case! I would have a pic with the intake but it is getting clear coat right now. Let me know your thoughts and then I will get to bending! Thanks as always! Your project is looking awesome as well!!!

Attachments

• N%jYnwdcTWiY4J+S9Udy3A.jpg
    N%jYnwdcTWiY4J+S9Udy3A.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 86
If you have an issue I do still have the tree from post 15. It sticks way out, so not sure if it will cause any clearance with the firewall or anything behind the engine, but i'd sell it off cheap if you need it.

If you have an issue I do still have the tree from post 15. It sticks way out, so not sure if it will cause any clearance with the firewall or anything behind the engine, but i'd sell it off cheap if you need it.
Ok I got it, just a little massaging with the vice with breaks to ensure I did not stretch the brazing and crack the pipe. She fit, just need to align the source outlet correctly and I am done till I get heads and I can finish the porting on the lower.

Attachments

• YzxxTjmGR9+NYihfqNNAXA.jpg
    YzxxTjmGR9+NYihfqNNAXA.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 84