Getting my shortblock ready. Need advice.

voodoo

Founding Member
Feb 16, 2001
Pensacola, Fl
I'm putting a shortblock from an 88LX in my 94 GT. The engine had about 80,000 miles on it when it was pulled for a ford racing 351 crate engine. The block and everything is very clean. The cylnder walls are slick as a baby's bottom and no ridges or grooves on them and you can see the original hone marks. I am going to put in a B303 new push rods, lifters, timing chain, mild heads with appropriate springs and rockers for the cam. Also a new oil pump. Anything else I should do to be safe or to freshin it up. I'll take my time with this and have it ready in a few months. Any advise will help this is my first time around doing this.

• Sponsors (?)

Also forgot to mention my current engine has about 146,000 miles with about 110, 000 of them being interstate miles back and forth from nashville, in to louisville, ky Will I feel a difference in power with my current mods??

Yes you will feel a major difference. Mainly depending on the heads you use. Do you have any idea of what heads ur gonna use? I ran a B cam, its great in the midrange, and i just found out from my friend who sold me the motor that he had advanced it two degrees for more top end pull. It ran awesome like this, good pull up to around 6k, i would reccomend it.

About the tear down.. Since its ur first time around doing this, get lots of little plastic baggies for all the bolts you take out, and label the bags. It will save you in the end.

I would build up the newer engine on a stand, then just swap it into your engine bay..

Just take your time, and if you have any issues along the way post here. Good luck :nice:

thanks man I never thought anyone would answer me. Nobody ever does. I do plan on putting everything on while the newer one is on the stand. On the heads, I'm not sure what I can afford right now. Thinking of those aero heads in the back of the 5.0 and Muscle Mustang mags or something used for around 400 or maybe alittle more. Just can't afford much now. thanks for the reply man. I appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks

I would check out the corral for a b cam.. You can find one for 75 used.. As long as the lobes are in good shape its fine..Im pretty sure theres one or two over there forsale right now.. I actually just sold mine to a friend for 75.

Im not sure ive heard of those aero heads? :shrug: If you have some time before you NEED the car on the road, i would be patient and find a deal on some used alum heads. Or maybe some gt40p heads, some guys are making great numbers with those. But you will need a new set of headers.