getting new valve covers need advice about plugging either pcv or the hole where breather goes

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
My valve cover gaskets are leaking so I ordered new valve covers since I'll have them off. The ones I ordered come with only one hole in each. Apon researching I realized that I either have to plug the pcv and run a breather on each cover or plug the hole in the cover that's not being used for the oil fill . Since they only have one hole per side I guess I'm leaning towards plugging the one that won't be used for the oil because I'm not really wanting to cut into them. If they were to have one hole in one and two in the other I'd be more apt to plugging the pcv. Does that sound like my best option, plugging one of the holes? If so what do I plug it with? Sorry I rambled a little, I hope this is making sense to someone. Oh one more thing, it's raining outside so i can't go look but is there a line that runs from the oil filler neck to the pcv? I cant remember. If so the new covers don't have a neck of course so where would I run that line? Am I stuck cutting a hole to run a breather? This just got more complicated than I was expecting or maybe I'm just over thinking it.

thanks

mike

• Sponsors (?)

I just got off the phone with jegs and the guy thought that the pcv valve was coming from the valve cover and I was like no its in the manifold. He said something like get a pcv valve that would screw into the valve cover and run the line that goes from TB to there. I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about really

LIGHT BULB!!! Ok yeah don't know what I was thinking. No cutting will be necessary I only need one per side since the oil fill will be the same hole that the filter is in on passenger side. So just cap off pcv, I got it. One more question, does a lot of oil usually come out of the filters and get everywhere?

If you are naturally aspirated, the PCV system is a good thing and should probably not be eliminated. There is no reason to get rid of it in a N/A setup. You are going to get oil vapors and smells out of the valve covers if you stick breathers on top of them. Fine for a race car, but it gets annoying on a car you drive a lot.

Personally, I would cap the valve covers (with a provision in the passenger side for the TB line) and maintain your existing PCV system from the back of your lower intake.

Damn thought I had a solution but i dunno. The guy at jegs says I can add a
Oil Separator/Breather
  • Direct replacement for crankcase evacuation systems and run the line from the TB to that and I was like what about the other side he said you can add another filter if you want or cap it off. I guess he doesn't know what he's talking about. I tried to explain the whole unmetered air thing to him and he didnt get it I dont guess. At first he was like so there so you need another pcv valve and I was like no on our cars the pcv is on the back of the manifold and there is a line that runs from oil filler to TB. What if I just plug the holes on valve covers and plug the line on the TB?

crappy ones apparently. Proform is the brand name, they don't come w the filler neck. I found a filler neck from trickflow that has the nipple on it but don't know if it will fit in the inch and 1/4 hole that is in the valve covers i got. If it will fit Im going to get that and cap off the other side I suppose. The filler neck cost more than the valve covers but if it works it will still be cheaper than paying $150 or more for valve covers.

Stamped steel valve covers are the worst. I've never had good luck with them. They always seem to destort when tightening them and leak oil all over the headers. You get what you pay for.

That filler neck should do the trick though.

They haven't come in yet but as I look at the picture harder I'm not 100% that the will fit under the intake due to the shape. I guess they're for carb'd cars although when searching for valve covers for a '90 they come up. I read the fine print yesterday and they said for '64-'95 small block fords. C'mon jegs ya gotta be kiddin me. F' jegs... I think I'm going to send em back and get another pair from latemodel restore.

The best valve covers I've bought, and the ones I'm using on my new build are these from AFM:

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.c...ategory_id=142&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I got mine from Joe Heck racing, but I don't think they carry them anymore. LRS has them under the Canton name, but they cost $30 more than AFM. I'm just not sure if the AFM ones come with a cap.

And when you get gaskets, buy the rubber ones, not cork.