Ghettorigged brake questions

Ok so I have a 1986 SVO Mustang that I threw 95 spindles/control arms at along with 99 cobra brakes and a 93 Cobra master cylinder, thinking that would fix some soft pedal problems I had. Proportioning valve and one of the rear calipers are for certain now having issues not leaking, and I would imagine I have at least one shot line to worry about. Would it be feasible for me to just convert most of the car’s brake system to the 94-95 mustang hard lines/proportioning valve without really needing to use adaptors (other than fittings to the braided stainless brake lines)? Or would I need to be looking into swapping to the hard lines/proporting valve from another fox body? Junkyards here have a lot more 94-95 stangs than fox bodies, hence why I’m asking

• Sponsors (?)

Ideally, if you are swapping brakes, you want to make the entire system match. So if you are running the 99 cobra front 13” setup, you would want the SN95 cobra rear disks as well. That setup works well with the 93 cobra MC

I’m hoping to avoid that much work if possible, SVO guys all said they didn’t need to do anything to run the cobra brakes except some who wanted the softer feel of a smaller master cylinder. Obviosuly that will vary with a different proportioning valve but since thats a whole mess and a half and I don’t want to get too involved with the axle outback this seemed like a better solution

Sorry, I misread the question.

If you snag an SN95 brake line setup, you need to source it from a non-ABS car. In order to ensure it all bolts together fine, you need to grab all of it, including the SN95 prop valve. 79-86 mustangs used SAE threading on the brake fittings, while 87+ went metric. That’s creates a no mix and match scenario

ideally, with mixed brakes, you want to gut your stocker and run an adjustable anyway.

the 94-95 lines will even bolt up to the 93 cobra MC as well.

there are kits available if you want to save some time. You still need to grab the 94-95 non abs prop valve thoigh

Last edited:
Get a spool or two of copper nickel brake line, get the MC and prop valve (especially the brake line fittings) from an SN non-ABS car at wreckers and flair new lines with the SN brake line fittings. All will bolt together. The copper nickel will not rust, therefore brake lines will be good to go for a VERY long time.

Follow up question, could I just swap the master cylinder lines and the proportioning valve? I did the rear caliper first hoping that was the problem but the prop valve started leaking again. I’ve got all the lines but obviously wouldn’t want to swap them all if I don’t have to.

But since you said you have a 93 Cobra MC, prop valve should bolt up. Worst case you need to source fittings for the prop valve and convert your existing lines.