Ghia-removing the trim around the bottom of the vinyl roof?

Am I just not seeing the nuts? (Yes, I know I AM nuts, thanks)
Or do these not have studs and nuts that go on from the inside? Right now specifically asking about the trim along the bottom of the roof that goes below the opera window.

I don't have the headliner off yet, but I do have one side loose along the bottom edge and I am not feeling anything inside of where the trim strips are.

Course, I am not figuring out how to get the opera window stuff off either yet.

Thanks,
Russ

• Sponsors (?)

Got mine out now. I can get pics if you need them. Amazingly enough, it looks to me like Ford used the vinyl top as an integral part of the waterproofing of the Ghia quarter windows. They leak pretty well once the vinyl has rotted away...

By trim, do you mean the chromed potmetal surround for the Ghia opera (quarter) window or the colored strip that runs around the back of the car at the bottom of the vinyl roof?

The vinyl trim strip is held by a philips screw at the base of each quarter window plus studs on the roof and clips in the trip around the back. At least I think so...mine is only partially off at this point.

The chromed potmetal surround is bolted through a plastic(!) filler panel that sits in the full coupe quarter window frame. At least that's what I remember. The plastic trim inside the car will have to come out before you find the nuts. The Ghia ornament is also fastened there.

I think I'm going back to a set of coupe windows...

I was asking about the vinyl trim strip, but you saved me from having to ask about the window trim. :)
Pics would help if not a problem. Thanks!

I need to get out and try to look again. I keep getting distracted by other "easier to do" stuff.

Are the opera windows really that leaky? I had originally thought about going to the normal coupe windows, but then I saw a Ghia (on this or the other website, I forget and can't find it again) without the vinyl roof that looked really cool with the opera windows and I was going to go that route.

I am almost scared to take the vinyl off, as much other rust as I am finding on this thing. But I am not a vinyl roof type person. At least there hasn't been any obvious signs of a leak on the headliner.

thanks,
Russ

My Ghia had a rust through in the driver side rear wheel well directly under the quarter window.

I am also not much of a vinyl window person, so I'm torn on whether to replace it or not. I'm especially not much of a padded half vinyl top person! ;)

So I'll probably either go with a full vinyl top or none at all. I've been happy to see 2 or 3 nicely restored Ghia's with the Sport Package, so I don't feel so much pressure to accurately restore it.

Ford should have used either a sheetmetal or fiberglass filler on the Ghia opera windows...the plastic that they used is too flexible.

If I was going to keep the opera windows, I think I would make either a fiberglass or sheetmetal filler panel. And if I was going to leave off the vinyl top, I'd blend the panel into the surrounding sheetmetal.

Hmmm. I have rust in that area too. Also below the passenger side. But I can't say for sure if it is right below the windows, haven't really thought to look at that part. It might just be normal quarter panel rust in a large way.

So, is the leakage more from the filler panel than the actual window itself? Will have to think about what to do with it. Welding in a sheet metal piece would likely be the best way to go, just have to make sure I don't add any more problems while doing it.

Honestly I haven't even done anything to the car for over a week, been kind of depressed about it. But I will get back to it soon. I need to do some work on my Pinto first though, I need to tune it up. Sat for a while since I haven't been having to drive it daily, but I want to get it back in shape in the hopes that my wife needs her car for a job soon. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Well, I can hope she gets one soon.

Thanks,
Russ