God looks after idiots too...

• Sponsors (?)

In the vid, I thought I saw somebody lift the rear of the car off of the ground..
These guys removed every piece of inner structure they could, and left the skin.

And when the car wrecked, it tore to pieces because there was nothing tying the car together ( not even a cage). After all,..they were able to take the guy out through the top of the car, over the gauge cluster.
Completely typical of the car that usually shows up at the backwoods tracks here in the south.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
In the vid, I thought I saw somebody lift the rear of the car off of the ground..
These guys removed every piece of inner structure they could, and left the skin.

And when the car wrecked, it tore to pieces because there was nothing tying the car together ( not even a cage). After all,..they were able to take the guy out through the top of the car, over the gauge cluster.
Completely typical of the car that usually shows up at the backwoods tracks here in the south.

That was my first thought, they gutted the crap out of it to get the weight down. Not that I wouldn't be surprised for a stock fox with no cage to break apart like that either, that was a solid hit on that telephone pole and these cars chassis are not built that great. He's one lucky SOB.

A friend of mine lost control and hit a telephone pole in his convertible. The only thing that saved him was the back flip he did into the back seat before impact.

I had a 10 point cage from S & W Racing in my convertible. My head would've been on the halo if I had factory seats.

Speaking of factory seats.....I've seen that guy and another friend loose control because the factory seat back broke. The other friend did a nitrous test hit...by the time he got his fingers back on the steering wheel he was about 100ft in a graveyard. I was there for that one. All you could see is his hands up grabbing air.

Before I got Sparcos I would wedge a plastic crate behind the seat....just in case.

The guy in the video was super lucky he lived. I hate the idea of putting a cage in Dusty... but that video makes me think, too.

A friend of mine lost control and hit a telephone pole in his convertible. The only thing that saved him was the back flip he did into the back seat before impact.

I had a 10 point cage from S & W Racing in my convertible. My head would've been on the halo if I had factory seats.

Speaking of factory seats.....I've seen that guy and another friend loose control because the factory seat back broke. The other friend did a nitrous test hit...by the time he got his fingers back on the steering wheel he was about 100ft in a graveyard. I was there for that one. All you could see is his hands up grabbing air.

Before I got Sparcos I would wedge a plastic crate behind the seat....just in case.

The guy in the video was super lucky he lived. I hate the idea of putting a cage in Dusty... but that video makes me think, too.

This is the main reason I am spending so much time re-enforcing my chassis. I've had a couple buddies seriously wreck their uncaged stangs and everytime I was amazed how much the cars came apart. These cars were meant to absorb impacts up to a certain speed, they were never meant to stay together when hitting objects or rolling at 100 mph+. Had one buddy in HS die in the passenger seat of a thunderbird SC after the driver hit black ice. Wreck wasn't that bad, they slide sideways into a tree maybe doing 35-40 on the driver side, my buddy broke his neck in the passenger seat. That sticks with me as to how easy it is to get hurt in a wreck and why you should do everything you can to protect yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Damn. I'm just not gonna drive mine anymore. I seriously dispise the thought of how flimsy these cars can be. Mine doesn't even have an airbag and no idea if the 30 year old seatbelts will do their job.

One thing about new cars...they sure are getting much safer these days.

• Agree
He did have a cage in the car, watch the end where he is at the gas station. It looks like a bolt in deal though. Definitely makes me want to go full weld in. Maybe you just don't see it in the video, but was he even wearing a helmet?

Joe

He did have a cage in the car, watch the end where he is at the gas station. It looks like a bolt in deal though. Definitely makes me want to go full weld in. Maybe you just don't see it in the video, but was he even wearing a helmet?

Joe

Sure doesnt look like it from the camera angle from down "track." And it says in the end he sustained a broken jaw and some missing teeth. My guess is from biting the steering wheel with no helmet on.

• Agree

Joe
That was a hoop to hold his nitrous bottle, not a cage. Early in the video you see them pick up the rear of the car and drop it and the bottle flops around. This guy was really stupid and he paid only a small price for it.

Lately I've seen some Foxbody wreck aftermath and I've gotta say it concerns me. A cage is not the answer IMO because I enjoy driving around with my kids.

I noticed just before the car swerved sparks flew from the left side under the car, thinking he broke something, wouldn't surprise me as crappy as that car appears to be built, crap flopping around inside, no helmet, no bracing and appears no sfc.