Going to buy a 2010 Camaro

There's no set price on the Camaro yet, but Lutz said he will not be trying to compete with the Mustang GT pricing, due to the IRS and "overall higher quality components". So I highly doubt the Camaro will be below $35k. Between the HP ratings and price, you comparing the Camaro/Challenger to the GT is not a fair comparison. But even if you do compare them to the GT, for so much less, you get very close to equivelent power. Even without waiting for the 5.0L.

I read that Lutz said that the Camaro will be with the same price range as the Stang.
Unless he changed his mind from a month ago?
You Dodge will be making as many Challengers as they can,If there is a demand
for 100,000,you know dodge will make them....
I guess you paid too much with your Magnum RT at $32,000.
I have seen Charger Rts for $29,000 New....
There will be markup on the 2008 challengers,,,but with the 2009s they will be on every dealers lot.So I would think the word would be invoice unless you want to be taken.
As for the Camaro I think the price will be around the $31,000- $32,000 mark just like the GTOs,but invoice will still be under $30,000.......YEP if you want to shop around you can get anything at invoice with no markups.....
But it would still be nice to get a stang Gt thats if it comes with their newest 350hp engine and not having to wait a year after everyone has more HP in their cars.

The sticker on my Magnum RT was over $33k. I paid just over $31k with my work discount. This is when they just hit the market in 2005. The Magnums are more expensive that the Charger, due to a bit more sheet metal. I just checked, and the current MSRP of the Magnum RT before options is $32,480 for RWD. Oh yeah, and 2.82 was the axle ratio, not 2.92. The current Charger starts at $31,725. I could be wrong, but I doubt the Challenger is going to be less than the Charger.

As far as pricing, here ya go.
Full text http://www.planetcamaro.com/general-news/chevrolet-camaro-to-have-v6-and-a-turbo-i4-080320.html
"We are going to be above Mustang," Lutz said. " We have a very sophisticated suspension system and, frankly, a much nicer interior. We are not going to try and match the Mustang on price. We are going to be premium-priced compared to the Mustang."

Again, I don't dislike the Challenger (the exterior, anyway), or Camaro for that matter. I just think the Mustang is an overall better value.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I really don't know why you are comparing the Shelby or the SRT8???
I would love to get the 2010 Stang Gt(yep the 5.0 is rated at 350hp}
But I really don't know why they are waiting till 2011???
If they put the 5.0 in the 2010s I am sure they will sell many..
As for me to upgrading my engine,it makes no sense at all.
If I enjoy getting a Stang Gt every 2 or 3 years why would I want to spend the money on upgrading????.
I am not driving to impress anybody.....
Its just very sucky I feel,,,,because if I get a 2010 with the 4.6 at lets say $30,000
and the 2011s stang Gts will have the 5.0 with 350hp at the same $30,000...
I think most would be a tad annoyed????

Now I am sure the Camaro V8 and the Challenger (RT} will be around the $30,000 mark....
I really don't think they will jack the price up on the camaro,because you can get a 2009
basic Vette at Invoice at $39,000.
Too me I have to see what the 2010 Stang will really look like.
As of Now the Camaro and Challenger we know what will look like.
As of now I really don't see many Mustang Gt pics,yep I see a few but never the whole car.
As we get closer to Sept then we will hopefully know what the real stang Gt will look like and know what kind of engine it will have....

First of all, just for the record: the 5.0L that's going in the 2011 Mustang GT, will be rated at 400HP, and NOT 350.

I also believe that part of the reason, as to why the Camaro will be more expensive, is due from providing an IRS.

But then again, from the statement that Bob Lutz confirmed. The Camaro is going to be marketed as premium coupe anyhow, which IMO not only interprets as being more expensive, but also more upscale, and refined over the Mustang as well.

In fact, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the base V8 Camaro sells for around 34K MSRP, along with the base Challenger R/T being priced about the same, and that's being generous.

Another factor to consider is this: Being as the new Camaro is also based upon the Zeta/G8 platform. Don't expect this new Camaro to weigh any less than 3700-3900 lbs.

So it appears as though GM, is going to market the Camaro towards customers who are looking for a more refined and upscaled alternative to the Mustang. Just as Dodge will with their upcoming Challenger R/T, which btw: is still going to weigh in at around 4100 lbs.

While on the other hand. Ford will continue to market the Mustang towards it's customers who want more of an overall practical, and affordable alternative.

At any rate, It's a win/win situation for both Ford, and the Mustang.

Again, I don't dislike the Challenger (the exterior, anyway), or Camaro for that matter. I just think the Mustang is an overall better value.

Yep the Mustang is a better Value
Only thing that will push me towards the challenger or the camaro,is that ford will not release their 350hp or whatever engine till a year later....
There is No reason to wait another year for the upgraded engine...
I gave Ford a break
They were surposed to released the newest stang Gt as a 2009,,,until Gm put the camaro back a year...

As for the Challenger Rt or Camaro basic V8 Lets say the MSRP is $34,000...
Well Invoice will be around 3 Grand less,so around the $31,000 mark.....
I feel the auto Companys are in such bad shape...
Look at Ford,,,,,They are rated as Junk Bonds and GM is also in very bad shape at not making any money....
I feel they will be happy to give these cars away at invoice,since they are going to make Tons of them and they will not be limmited

If you're dead set on getting one of them, get the Camaro. I have no faith in DC drive-trains. Numerous LX owners had many problems. Luckily I didn't, but I had extremely low miles on mine. Even though the Camaro will also be more expensive than the Mustang GT, it'll probably be less than the Challenger. There will be more after market support for it, as well. DC makes it hard to modify the cars, and they simply don't sell as many. Plus, it's a Corvette engine, so it'll have a following.

If you're bound and determined for a 400HP engine, why not buy the Saleen 302 crate? Swapping out cars so much, you're losing quite a bit of money, and the Saleen 302 is so sick sounding.

I rather stay with the stang Gt,I had about 5 of them since 1995....
I guess many people throw their money out of the window on different things...
To me I like having a car with a warrenty,mine will end in sept of 2008.
I am not into putting a crate engine into the car......
I enjoy the smell of a new car,,,well I still think my is kinda new still lol.
I am sure by Sept Ford will let us know if we will be seeing 350HP Plus in their 2010 stang Gts???
I cannot see buying a Saleen or shelby...
I don't think any stang is worth $50,000
I don't think my friends Z06 was worth $90,000 with taxes he paid for.....
I like the Camaro from the pics that I have seen....
I also like the challenger,but the challenger is like a BRICK(a very heavy car}
I know alot of people on here that will stickup for their Stangs,I don't blame them since most still have payments.
As I said before allllllllllllll V8 Cars for 2009 and 2010 you should be able to get for INVOICE.....Dodge,Gm and even Ford are going to make soooo many and with gas prices at $5 at the end of the year.many of these cars will stay of dealer lots.....and only the people that can afford the car and gas will get one like me and a few others.......

Once again, the 2011 Mustang GT will be equipped with a 400HP 5.0 modular engine, in which will also get better fuel economy than the current 4.6.

If you don't wish to take my word for it. All you need to do, is visit The Mustang Source Forum Website, then go to the 2010 Mustang section, and then click onto the (New Information on the 5L, DI and 2010 thread) followed by the (5.0 power numbers leaked? 400hp, 360tq, 6 speed thread)

Once there, you'll see for yourself that several Ford insiders have already confirmed what I've just posted.

Look at the bright side, you've already waited this long, so is just another 2 years of waiting going to really hurt ?

I don't know about you, but personally I'd much rather wait for a 400HP Mustang GT, that's not only going to cost much less than a Challenger R/T or base Camaro V8..But most of all, will also weigh much less, and outperform them both. Think about it. :nice:

I read in one last issue of a major car magazine (can't remember which) that now they are shifting away from using the 5.0 and planning on a 400hp 6.2L V8. Where the hell would that engine come from? Sounds like the mag got it confused with the Camaro maybe. I also read in the most recent versions that they are planning on pricing it the same as the Mustangs. There are so many rumors and "straight from Ford/Chevy" stories floating around right now, I don't know what to believe.

Yep the Mustang is a better Value
Only thing that will push me towards the challenger or the camaro,is that ford will not release their 350hp or whatever engine till a year later....
There is No reason to wait another year for the upgraded engine...
I gave Ford a break
They were surposed to released the newest stang Gt as a 2009,,,until Gm put the camaro back a year...

As for the Challenger Rt or Camaro basic V8 Lets say the MSRP is $34,000...
Well Invoice will be around 3 Grand less,so around the $31,000 mark.....
I feel the auto Companys are in such bad shape...
Look at Ford,,,,,They are rated as Junk Bonds and GM is also in very bad shape at not making any money....
I feel they will be happy to give these cars away at invoice,since they are going to make Tons of them and they will not be limmited

I guess you missed the report on CNN, which stated that Ford made a $100,000,000 profit worldwide, just recently. I'd say that's not too shabby for a company, which is supposedly related as having junk bonds !

I read in one last issue of a major car magazine (can't remember which) that now they are shifting away from using the 5.0 and planning on a 400hp 6.2L V8. Where the hell would that engine come from? Sounds like the mag got it confused with the Camaro maybe. I also read in the most recent versions that they are planning on pricing it the same as the Mustangs. There are so many rumors and "straight from Ford/Chevy" stories floating around right now, I don't know what to believe.

The article you read in Car & Driver, is nothing more than just a rumor.
As the 400HP 6.2L will only be seeing F-150 truck duty.

Meanwhile the 2011 Mustang GT, will be getting the 400HP 5.0L version, which is also going to be more fuel efficient, than the current 4.6L :nice:

The Chevys and the Challengers have displacement displacement displacement while Ford is getting great amounts of power from a relatively small engine. My overall impression, correct me if I'm wrong is that Chevy and Chryslers are making these humungo big engines and pouring already expensive gasoline down the cylinders to make the horsepower ratings they advertise. A new engine is not necessarily better than one that is tried and true.

It is a blessing to be able to buy a brand new car every 2 or 3 years, and aaaah, that virgin factor of being the first one to drive it. Personally, I don't care for the Chevy or the Challenger.

I guess you missed the report on CNN, which stated that Ford made a $100,000,000 profit worldwide, just recently. I'd say that's not too shabby for a company, which is supposedly related as having junk bonds !
As for GM,they don't make any money selling cars,when GM makes money its on a truck.
And Fords and GM biggest market is the states even though they sell autos in other countrys.....Only money making company is toyota.Yeaaaa baby.

I am sure you are correct with the Fords engine rated at 400hp......
Why would anyone that wants HP buy a 2010 Stang GT when in a year they will get free
100HP for the same price.....
As you said maybe its worth the wait?
But as of now I have not seen what the newest stang Gt will look like?
I am sure within the next 6 months we will find out alot more about the
3 big auto companys and their cars.............
But as I said before its going to be a buyers market because gas prices will be over $5 a gallion.And if the dealers will not deal,,,then they all will have lots of cars sitting on their lots........................................

As for GM,they don't make any money selling cars,when GM makes money its on a truck.
And Fords and GM biggest market is the states even though they sell autos in other countrys.....Only money making company is toyota.Yeaaaa baby.

I am sure you are correct with the Fords engine rated at 400hp......
Why would anyone that wants HP buy a 2010 Stang GT when in a year they will get free
100HP for the same price.....
As you said maybe its worth the wait?
But as of now I have not seen what the newest stang Gt will look like?
I am sure within the next 6 months we will find out alot more about the
3 big auto companys and their cars.............
But as I said before its going to be a buyers market because gas prices will be over $5 a gallion.And if the dealers will not deal,,,then they all will have lots of cars sitting on their lots........................................

You may not necessarily have to wait another year. From my understanding there's a very strong possibility, there may be an SE edition 2010 Mach 1 coming out fall 2009. And if there is: chances are, it's going to include the new 400HP 4v 5.0L So the wait, may very well be worth it after all. :nice:

There are so many options now that I would just wait for the 2010 MY to make a decision. The 2009 Challenger is coming out with more goodies: limited slip differential, HIDs, etc...

Another alternative is to buy 1 of each:
Mustang GT
Challenger R/T
Camaro SS

First of all, just for the record: the 5.0L that's going in the 2011 Mustang GT, will be rated at 400HP, and NOT 350.

I also believe that part of the reason, as to why the Camaro will be more expensive, is due from providing an IRS.

But then again, from the statement that Bob Lutz confirmed. The Camaro is going to be marketed as premium coupe anyhow, which IMO not only interprets as being more expensive, but also more upscale, and refined over the Mustang as well.

In fact, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the base V8 Camaro sells for around 34K MSRP, along with the base Challenger R/T being priced about the same, and that's being generous.

Another factor to consider is this: Being as the new Camaro is also based upon the Zeta/G8 platform. Don't expect this new Camaro to weigh any less than 3700-3900 lbs.

So it appears as though GM, is going to market the Camaro towards customers who are looking for a more refined and upscaled alternative to the Mustang. Just as Dodge will with their upcoming Challenger R/T, which btw: is still going to weigh in at around 4100 lbs.

While on the other hand. Ford will continue to market the Mustang towards it's customers who want more of an overall practical, and affordable alternative.

At any rate, It's a win/win situation for both Ford, and the Mustang.

No doubt, Bob Lutz is a complete moron. I remember seeing him in a TV interview at a auto show in 2006. He was being asked what GM needed to do to better compete and his answer was "We need to develop more cars that don't require incentives to move them off dealer lots". DUH!!!!!! Don't worry, if there's one thing you can count on it's that the general will overprice the Camaro. If you told me that one of two things was going to happen tomorrow, either Chevrolet was going to fail to F up the Camaro or the sun was going to fail to come up, I'd drop everything and head to Radio Shack to stock up on flashlight batteries.

Don't forget, the last F-body had a strong following, a great engine, and pretty good aftermarket support. Still, in the F-body's last year Ford sold three times more Mustang's than GM sold Camaro's and Firebirds combined. Horsepower numbers make great billboards but they won't sell bloated Camaros or Challengers that can just barely take a Ford that cost 5-10 grand less. That's reality. They'll get a run on them the first year, mostly 50 something guys who got laid the first time in the backseat of their dads '68, but then they'll fall on their face.

I would think the 6.2L 2V SOHC Boss V8. will more than likely get 425HP, and not the 400HP rating that's currently being rumored.

Just as the 2009 Challenger SRT8 with it's 6.1 Hemi, is rated at 425HP. You would think the Boss 6.2L V8, should also get similar HP ratings.

Just my $.02 :flag:

Ford just needs to keep the price down on the stang and they are set. I could care less if the stangs got IRS, I actually like a sold rear better. Keep things basic, light weight, power around 350-400hp 5.0L (even a 350 4.6L would be great) and Ford is golden. Maybe by 2011 I will buy a new stang but for now I'm happy with my 01 GT.

Ford just needs to keep the price down on the stang and they are set. I could care less if the stangs got IRS, I actually like a sold rear better. Keep things basic, light weight, power around 350-400hp 5.0L (even a 350 4.6L would be great) and Ford is golden. Maybe by 2011 I will buy a new stang but for now I'm happy with my 01 GT.

+1. Keep the mustang affordable and don't let it gain any more weight. More cubes are just a bonus.