Gonna light it on fire and drive it off a cliff!!!

Bout to give up on my stang. I've been having the same problem for quite some time within the front end. It only occurs on the hot days late in the afternoon my front end develops a small rattle and clunk. I can feel it through my feet and when coming to a stop the clunk occurs. It happens when I turn my wheels left or right and even when driving in a straight line and coming to a slow roll then stop once the weights transfered I'll get a small clunk. Not sure if rattle is the right word when I turn my wheels but when I slowly turn my wheels left or right it has like a small vibration and doesnt provide much noise.

Through out the search I've played with the brakes,replaced the tie rods, and I've also recently did the uppoer/lower control arms and balljoints. Went out driving it today after the control arms and balljoints were done I still got the same affect kinda its not as bad as it was before I can't feel it through my feet but I can hear it going over small bumps and slow speeds.

So if anyone on here can provide some input its greatly appreciated or wants to take a look at it and are close to jacksonville I'll gladly meet up with ya. Other than that with all being said I'm on the verge of trading it in. Car is an 04 with 66k miles on it I don't even wanna know whats gonna happen at 100k.

• Sponsors (?)

Steering rack bushings are shot, replace w/some aluminum ones. What do the inside of your tires look like, if they are worn on in the side, thats a clear sighn that your bushings are worn. Many people overlook that part of the suspension. How are your ball joints doing, check them also by pulling the wheel left and right when the car is in the air.

TSB 05-14-3 Steering rack creak

What about any mods? +1 on everything above. In addition, check the brake slid pins for wear/loose. Also check the wheel hub bearings for wear.

There is also a Ford TSB that may possibly apply here (IMO it is a long shot).

>>
TSB 05-14-3
07/25/05
SQUEAK/CREAK NOISE FROM STEERING RACK
WHEN TURNING
FORD:
2002-2004 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 04-24-8 to update the Action.

ISSUE
Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise when turning.

ACTION
Replace both power steering gear tube brackets.
Refer to Workshop Manual Section 211-02 Steering Gear Mounting. Tighten the steering gear mounting fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N.m).

Steering rack bushings are shot, replace w/some aluminum ones. What do the inside of your tires look like, if they are worn on in the side, thats a clear sighn that your bushings are worn. Many people overlook that part of the suspension. How are your ball joints doing, check them also by pulling the wheel left and right when the car is in the air.

Really? My tires get like that. They are scalloped on the inside edge. I always thought it was due to not having CC plates on my car. Is that the case or could it be the rack bushing. I am not getting any noise or vibration like the original post.

before you start throwing parts at it, remove the rack mount bolts (one at a time) and thoroughly clean the tubes and mounting area. Then re-install the bolts...that took care of a similar issue on mine.

Really? My tires get like that. They are scalloped on the inside edge. I always thought it was due to not having CC plates on my car. Is that the case or could it be the rack bushing. I am not getting any noise or vibration like the original post.

My car is stock height, and I had an alighnment not that long ago. I noticed that my steering was awful when there was rain, but there was lots of tread left in the center of the tire. I took a look on the inside of the tires and they were nearly bald.
The steering rack starts to drop down when the bushings are worn, thus screwing up my alighnment.
When the aluminum bushings were put in w/an alighnment, the tires grip the road like they were brand new.
Throwing parts at the suspension is kinda neccesary b/c the parts sound so similar when they go bad. I look at it like this, once I replace the part, it will be done, and won't need to be done again until another 100,000 miles.
If I knew then, what I know now, my first mods would be, Ball joints, tie rods, and every bushing besides the upper and lower control arms.

Yea I'm tryin to keep that in mind as I replace this and that I won't have to worry about it later. I'll be messing with the steering rack bushings today. If this helps pinpoint what it could be I did notice I could feel the vibration through the wheel when my friend was sitting in the car and turning the steering wheel. Oh and the tire wear looks normal but I am noticing more road noise from them here lately.

Rack bushing issues are common stock parts are cheap at the parts counter and mm has some nice upgrades. My car is primarily stock but I do run the mm aluminum bushings off and on.

I know this may not seem very likely with 66k but maybe you should get some polyurethane motor mounts also? I had a similar issue with feeling a vibration in the pedal and that was in but doesnt sound like your problem. wouldnt hurt to look at them though