good coil, no spark- what gives?

wildmandave

Sep 15, 2005
largo,FL
Today I ran my new engine for the first time. It ran for a while although it seemed to run a little rough. I adjusted the fuel pressure and set the timing. When i shut it down I pulled the plugs. Some were black and looked like charcoal, some looked brand new and it seemed as though no traces of fuel deposits were on them. I cleaned up the plugs and put them back in. When I ran it again I started removing wires one by one checking for spark. Every wire had spark, but some seemed to make no difference in engine performance so I would guess an injector isn't working or something. I shut it down to check the wiring, all the plug wires were ok and electrical checked out except I found a cut wire by the computer EEC box. There was a yellow wire with a brown stripe cut. I checked it with a test light, no power, so I turn on the ignition, still no power. I checked in my haynes book,it says the wire goes from the coil to the tach so I hook it up because my factory tach doesn't work(bought the car as a basket case a couple of years ago and just got it running)trying to get the tach to work. So I go to start the car and it turns over but won't start. I check for spark-nothing. I pull the coil wire and no spark there either. Then I pull the electrical connector off to see if the coil is getting power and it is. So if my coil is getting power and not throwing sparkwhat is wrong? I already checked the coil in my neighbors truck and the coil works fine. The car I am working on is a 1995 cobra with a 351w efi. It has a MSD blaster coil and pro billet distributor with a remote TFI module. Is the TFI module the culprit?

• Sponsors (?)