Gosh Darned Foxes!

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
So my roomate bought a T5 for his 86 mustang and we swaped it in the other day.

Boy what a PAIN!!
The AOD was freeking HUGE!! we wrestled with that thing for hours trying to get it out from under the car. We finally wound up at sears and bought a new heavy duty, high lift floor jack to get it out.

The rest was really easy. The T5 went in on the first stab and everything bolted right up. I couldn't believe it went in so easy. Then my roomate started the car and we listened to the beautiful sweet sounds of metal clanking on metal. UGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

So now we have to pull the T5 and see what the hell is clanking under there. Oh what fun.

• Sponsors (?)

Nope nothing in the bellhousing that doesn't belong, well not that I know of anyway. I was hoping it was the starter, but we took the starter off and could hear something scraping at the back of the engine when we manualy turned it.

Yep we installed the pilot bearing in the crank. I got home expecting my roomate to drag me under the car, but I'm sorry to say he had already fixed the problem and had the tranny in by the time I got there.

It turned out that the pressure plate was hitting part of the bellhousing. My roomate removed a bunch of material off the bellhousing where it was comming into contact with the pressure plate.

Boy was he covered in dextron 3. It was worth it. The car started and only clanked a little.

Now for the fun part. He just discovered how hard it was to shift with a clutch cable. I wonder how many times he'll adjust it before he talks me into helping him convert it to a hydraulic set up like the one I installed on my tremec?

Yeah, I'm curious too.

jikelly said:
Now for the fun part. He just discovered how hard it was to shift with a clutch cable.

The cable shouldnt have anything to do with how hard it is to shift anything. If its that difficult, something is wrong. Maybe the cable isnt routed right and has a tight bend or pinch. There is a specific path it has to take in a Fox3.

65ShelbyClone said:
Yeah, I'm curious too.

The cable shouldnt have anything to do with how hard it is to shift anything. If its that difficult, something is wrong. Maybe the cable isnt routed right and has a tight bend or pinch. There is a specific path it has to take in a Fox3.

We just kinda chose a route for the clutch cable since we were unable to find any info on that on the web anywhere. Do you know where to find that information?

Let's see I'd say that on my tremec it took about 80ftlbs to depress the clutch pedal with the cable set up. Exactly the same force it took to put a wrench on the end of the clutch fork and actuate the clutch under the car. It proved to be too much force for me to design a cable set up for my stang around so I switched to a hydraulic system.

The foxes came with clutch cables so I figured it would be fine in there, but so far it's not working right. Maybe it just needs fine tuning.

The pressure plate hitting the bellhousing worries me. All the parts match up with the application, but somehow we are still having this problem. I wonder if the crank is warped or something. Damn that AOD was massive.

What size flywheel are you running? It should be either a 10" or 10-1/2". Hope it is not larger.

jikelly said:
We just kinda chose a route for the clutch cable since we were unable to find any info on that on the web anywhere. Do you know where to find that information?

Let's see I'd say that on my tremec it took about 80ftlbs to depress the clutch pedal with the cable set up. Exactly the same force it took to put a wrench on the end of the clutch fork and actuate the clutch under the car. It proved to be too much force for me to design a cable set up for my stang around so I switched to a hydraulic system.

The foxes came with clutch cables so I figured it would be fine in there, but so far it's not working right. Maybe it just needs fine tuning.

The pressure plate hitting the bellhousing worries me. All the parts match up with the application, but somehow we are still having this problem. I wonder if the crank is warped or something. Damn that AOD was massive.

The Flywheel is the 10.5 inch and yes we installed the spacer plate. Do you think it could be too thin or something? I don't really know what to think since I missed seeing the thing when my roomate pulled the T5 back out. He was able to drive the car around today, and really enjoyed clanking down the street.