Got a Fuel Pump question

vld

Nov 5, 2004
Has anybody ever replaced just the pump? Not the whole assembly but just the electric pump. My wife's Tahoe just died and I have narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump. I can get just the pump for $50 as opposed to having to pay $250 for the whole assembly. Seems like a no brainer to me but I can't find anybody who has ever done the work. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm happy to hear that! Can you describe the basics? I've seen pictures of the assembly but I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how the pump attaches.

vld:

Haynes manual is available at AutoZone (and elsewhere) for about twenty bucks. Excellent instructions with lots of pictures. Your local public library may offer AllData, too, so you can get an on-line removal/installation procedure for the pump there.

Don't you have to drop the tank to get access to the pump? If so, you'll need to drain the tank. Maybe the Tahoe has access under the rear seats or trunk area and you won't have to drop the tank?

HTH,

Chris

I don't know about other cars, but a Mustangs is relatively easy to do. I've changed my fuel pump a couple times now, and have gotten it down to an hour or so (removal of fuel tank, replace fuel pump, and reinstall tank). Only basic tools needed + a fuel line disconnect tool.

vld:

Haynes manual is available at AutoZone (and elsewhere) for about twenty bucks. Excellent instructions with lots of pictures. Your local public library may offer AllData, too, so you can get an on-line removal/installation procedure for the pump there.

Don't you have to drop the tank to get access to the pump? If so, you'll need to drain the tank. Maybe the Tahoe has access under the rear seats or trunk area and you won't have to drop the tank?

HTH,

Chris

Yeah, everything I've read indicates needing to drop the tank. Don't know why I didnt think about the Haynes manual. May have to be making a purchase. Thanks man!

I prefer Chilton's over Haynes (just my opinion). I can usually find things easier in one over the other. But, either is much better than not having one.

When disassembling the fuel pump basket, be careful with the sending unit. It's easily damaged. Consider performing a function test before taking it apart and again after putting it together. Measure the resistance between a pole and the center wipe as the float arm is moved. Check it at a couple of spots. Should stay about the same after the repair.

Would be a shame to get it all back together only to find out that the gas guage doesn't work.

I prefer Chilton's over Haynes (just my opinion). I can usually find things easier in one over the other. But, either is much better than not having one.

When disassembling the fuel pump basket, be careful with the sending unit. It's easily damaged. Consider performing a function test before taking it apart and again after putting it together. Measure the resistance between a pole and the center wipe as the float arm is moved. Check it at a couple of spots. Should stay about the same after the repair.

Would be a shame to get it all back together only to find out that the gas guage doesn't work.

Roger that! Thanks man! :flag: