Got a question about installing a Mechanical Oil pressure gauge.

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I had gauges in my hatch on the a-pilliar , but I didn't really care for how they looked in that location so I removed them and sold them. I really like the look of the kit that puts them under the radio and wanna go that way. I had an electric oil PSI gauge , but this time I really want to go with a full sweep mechanical gauge. I have read on here before that it is best not to use the nylon tubing that comes with the gauge , but to buy some other kind of tubing instead. What kind of tubing is that and where do you buy it?? Also any other tricks to a leak free installation?

• Sponsors (?)

Braided hose would be best, although I have not have any issues with the nylon in anything yet, just keep it away from heat and use gromments in the metal holes. They also sell a copper tubing kit...

I used this copper tubing and it worked just fine.
atm-3224.jpg

Got it here for $8.95.

Plus I found it to be easier to run 1/8" tubing than the braided hose and it was cheaper as well.

Attachments

• atm-3224.jpg
    atm-3224.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 99
Yep, copper is not unlike nylon in that you use compression fittings and ferrules at the fittings.

FWIW, I have had nylon on one car for over 10 years and it is fine. Copper can chatter so it is something to remember. I cant afford braided (Rick and Kev will know pricing - I looked a time or two and could not swing it).

You can also sheath the nylon line with vac line to protect it and maybe contain (a little) a slight leak.

I think I would try copper if it were me James.

Good luck bud.

I may try the nylon first just to see, I like the idea of it being more flexible and putting it in the vaccum hose would probably be enough protection. I am thinking I will run it up and from the sender and let it run down the lower intake by the injectors and go through the rubber grommet around the steering shaft. Sound cool JT? I picked up a "oil pressure sender T" at the parts store earlier on impulse. It is a 3 way 1/8'' fitting but after thinking about it isn't the stock sender 1/4''? Oh well it was only 4 bucks.

I never liked the idea of oil coming into the passenger compartment but I have had two cars with it over the years and not one single problem. Both had nylon tubing. Kind of creepy to see the oil flow up there but it worked without fail!

The Shape said:
I may try the nylon first just to see, I like the idea of it being more flexible and putting it in the vaccum hose would probably be enough protection. I am thinking I will run it up and from the sender and let it run down the lower intake by the injectors and go through the rubber grommet around the steering shaft. Sound cool JT? I picked up a "oil pressure sender T" at the parts store earlier on impulse. It is a 3 way 1/8'' fitting but after thinking about it isn't the stock sender 1/4''? Oh well it was only 4 bucks.
James, the routing is just what makes sense. I dont have a showcar engine bay so I would run the nylon line over to the driver fender and then to the firewall. But others can tell you how nylon handles the heat (I would be afraid of it melting to something).

I think you have a spare hole for the clutch cable (unless you anticipate using that hole. ;) ) for running the line. I have drilled a couple firewall holes to fit senders/wires, vac lines, etc but you might not want to do that. I agree - you can always upgrade to a different line medium down the line.

That Tee will work. You need to adapt it to 1/4 for the stock sender and for the hex tube anyhow. If you had used a 1/4" Tee, you would have had to adapt to 1/8. 6 of one, half dozen of another. That will work fine though.

Good luck James. :nice:

HISSIN50 said:
Yep, copper is not unlike nylon in that you use compression fittings and ferrules at the fittings.

FWIW, I have had nylon on one car for over 10 years and it is fine. Copper can chatter so it is something to remember. I cant afford braided (Rick and Kev will know pricing - I looked a time or two and could not swing it).

You can also sheath the nylon line with vac line to protect it and maybe contain (a little) a slight leak.

I think I would try copper if it were me James.

Good luck bud.

i used a larger diameter nylon hose and ran the smaller one for the gauge through it. peice of mind if nothing else. i figure if it is rubbing on somthig this way i can catch it before its too late

88_GT_5_oh said:
i used a larger diameter nylon hose and ran the smaller one for the gauge through it. peice of mind if nothing else. i figure if it is rubbing on somthig this way i can catch it before its too late

That makes sense how did you route it under the hood. I was thinking of going along the lower intake , but JT mentioned that might be a bit to much heat fro the nylon tubing which make sense now that I think of it. Considering where the sender will be I bet I could just zip tie it loosely to the negative battery cable (since it passes right by the sender) and follow it up to the drivers side fender well. I am basically brain storming at the moment with christmas and all I want be buying any of this till after new years. Oh an JT I am planning on putting that extra hole for the clutch cable to use eventually, I just recieved my pedal assembly the other day and added it my growing pile of 5-speed swap stuff.:D

my 2 cents. keep it away from the headers. i been using the nylon for 10 years now and only had a problem once. was my fault the line wasnt tied up and dropped on my headers and actually the nylon caught fire on the header, any lasted about 10 second, but smelt like hell for a few days.

Ok Got it all installed yesterday. I ran the coppe rline inside a piece of rubber vaccum hose for protection. I guess I must have crimped the copper line somewhere however, because it's leaking. I have the gauges mounted under my radio and the back of the gauge has some oil on it. It doesn't look to be coming from the connection on the guage though it seems to be running out from the vaccum hose I have around the copper. So I guess I cracked it somehow. I am thinking of maybe just using the nylon tubing that came with the gauge , it should be more flexible and easier to route I think.