Got me a 2001 GT, now what?

mk434

Aug 28, 2004
Well, a few weeks ago, I picked up a 2001 Mustang GT. I've already done the normal matenance (oil change, ect.), and I upgraded the pedals, and gauges. Any recommendations on what to do next????? Anything I should know???

• Sponsors (?)

it depends. gears, shifter (if 5spd), a cat-back and subframes are a good foundation if you want a little more performance.

check the air and fuel filter - replace if needed.

I'd always say start with exhaust... flows are definitely my favorite. That sound is just :drool: ... Everyone has them, but who cares... everyone has a mustang as well... :p

Next thing people will probably tell you is gears... Will make by far the biggest difference for the money. Everyone swears by 4.10s, some by 3.73s. Probably comes down to how much highway driving you do. Tons, I'd go with the 3.73s, not much... 4.10s.

Oh yea, shifter, definitely the shifter. Get the Steeda Tri-ax. Once you get it installed you'll wonder WTF Ford was thinking with the stock shifter. It belongs in an F-150. :nonono:

99SilverGT said:
I'd always say start with exhaust... flows are definitely my favorite. That sound is just :drool: ... Everyone has them, but who cares... everyone has a mustang as well... :p

Next thing people will probably tell you is gears... Will make by far the biggest difference for the money. Everyone swears by 4.10s, some by 3.73s. Probably comes down to how much highway driving you do. Tons, I'd go with the 3.73s, not much... 4.10s.

Oh yea, shifter, definitely the shifter. Get the Steeda Tri-ax. Once you get it installed you'll wonder WTF Ford was thinking with the stock shifter. It belongs in an F-150. :nonono:
Agreed 100% Good post! :nice:
mk434 said:
Any recommendations on what to do next????? Anything I should know???
Cut up your credit cards before you get in too deep...lock away some money in long term CDs...Mods to the Mustangs become an obsession! :D
Enjoy! :flag:

Lower it to a normal ride height ... springs & shocks/ struts.

457554_38_full.jpg

I have an 01 Gt, first thing I did was some flows, it sounds sick man, I love it. I then went with a CAI, totally changed the exhaust not, made it better, if you can believe that. Lowering as we speak, and Kenne Bell on order, see what the guys are talking about, Steed Tri-ax (need to build the funds back up) and waiting to see how the 6psi boost does with stock gears, I do a lot of highway driving so don't want to go to low. I don't know if I can stop. :banana: :spot:

a mid pipe is the exhaust piping that runs between your header and cat back, stock it come with 4 cats which rob horsepower, i just switched to an off road x (no cats) by upr, only cost me 144 to my door, and its not too loud even with my magnaflow catback, sounds just right. And as far as our cars being a money pit hell yeah! Ive spent probably 3k-4k in mods (including rims) in the year I've had it. And theres SO much more I want to do.