Got my '06 GT in May, need a little advice

bloggins

Oct 15, 2006
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum but I've been lurking around for quite a while. First, some Mustang history:

- First Mustang was an 86 5.0GT Convertible
- Second was an 01 GT (got laid off, had to sell it, boo)
- Third was an 87 GT. Got it as a wedding present but had to sell because it was entirely stripped and didn't have time to work on it
- In May I bought my 06 GT. It's a premium coupe, 5 spd

So I've had some experience with Mustangs; here are my observations about the car so far as well as some questions:

1) Unlike my 01 GT, throttle response seems less crisp and there's a definite "hang" in the RPMs when letting off the gas or clutch. I read a post about it and I understand that's an emissions feature, but I have to wonder if it costs more in gas over the long run

2) These problems surfaced after I bought the car:
- CDs skip badly (I found a TSB for this)
- After about two months, now the Brake light, ABS light, and Traction control light stay lit once I start the car. Traction control is off and the info display says "Check Brake System". Took it in for warranty work and they had no clue but when they disconnected and reconnected the wiring to the ECU, the problem went away. A week later it's back again, so now I guess it has to go in the shop for a while until they figure it out. There is no TSB for this problem so just looks like a bug in my car.

Now for the questions. I saw several suggestions about a FAQ and a "get started modding for newbies" article but haven't found any yet, so I thought I'd ask some questions:

1) Car seems less torquey than my 01GT, probably due to the 3V. Has anyone else noticed this? What's the remedy? Which leads me to...
2) Performance tuning. Do I need to do anything fancy or just find the right chip for my tastes? I'd appreciate any pointers on what to get in this area (I'm looking for streetability, and I don't drag race)
3) I ultimately want to get a KB supercharger but my apartment complex has a strict policy against doing car mods in the parking lot, plus I don't know if I'd even have the time. Any ideas for what to look out for when selecting an installer? What's a good ballpark estimate for the cost of labor?

Thanks so much for listening (reading?) :) I hope to post more in the future!

• Sponsors (?)

Lets Rock

Hi, listen the easiest most cost effective and greatest increase in real power and real torque come from retuning you cars stock ECM "computer". You dont use chips, just retune your stock ECM and your good to go

You need to go to Brenspeed.com sir. For right at $675.00 you will get a C&L cold air intake and the SCT Xcal2 tuner. It will have three seperate tunes and power levels to choose from. The first one runs 87 0ctane gas, which should be what your using now if your car is stock.

Second is the 91 octane tune for those who cant get 93 octane where they live. I live in Texas, so we have it all. The C&L CAI will greatly help you and looks very cool too. The C&L CAI is simple to install in 15 minutes or less, uses the stock 10mm bolt to hold it in place. The SCT Xcal plugs into the port under the dash on your left side by the steering collum.

Once plugged in it prompts you on what to do, and its very very simple. It will first store your stock config. Then you can choose which tune you want. I had a full tank of 87 octane in my tank when I got my C&L and SCT. I first used the 87 octane tune which makes a HUGE HUGE difference. The second you start the car, and touch the gas you will be rewarded with serious quick throttle responce. Now you have the sluggish slow to rev set up being stock.

Run that 87 octane down to the point where you see the warning that you are low on fuel. Fill with 93 octane, and change the tune right there at the fuel pump if you want to, thats how easy it is, and how I did it.

The 93 octane will take 20 or more miles to be noticed, but you WILL NOTICE.
Even over the way it was allready running hard!

Since it will be so fuel effeciant, you will get much better gas mileage along with your huge new power gain! I allways get at least 20 mpg in the city, and I gas it every time I get a chance. I have not done a long trip really yeat, but on a 150 mile run I got 26 to 27 mpg running 80 and faster. Using cruise control, and leagle speeds, 30 mpg should be no prob.

A long winded reply, but I hope it helps you. Good luck..

Thanks so much for the reply, Warlok. I'm saving up my pennies for this stuff (it will be several months), but replies like the one you gave will really help me when it comes time to make my decision.

P.S. You don't happen to work for Brenspeed.com, do you? ;)

Brenspeed

bloggins said:
Thanks so much for the reply, Warlok. I'm saving up my pennies for this stuff (it will be several months), but replies like the one you gave will really help me when it comes time to make my decision.

No, I sure dont work for Brenspeed, but the way I explained it all I can see you might think so. No I just remember when I was full of the same questions, and it took a bit to get the right answers "for me".

Best of luck...

I just ordered the JLTII Intake and SCT Tuner from brenspeed. Its a little bit cheaper ($554) and looks better IMO. I should be getting it this week and hopefully installed with a full tank of 93 octane gas by this friday. I'll post results on here afterwards.

I did check out brenspeed's website and I liked what I saw. It's definitely on my list to consider.

Warlock,
Hehe, you'd be good in sales :)

V8JamesGT,
Is yours completely stock right now? If so, I'm looking forward to your results.

The supercharger kit on their site also looks good, but I don't know if I should just get the CAI/Tuner combo first only to have to sell it when I upgrade, or if I should just wait.

Decisions, decisions... :D

hutcccch,

Sorry, I'm afraid I wasn't very clear. My apartments have a policy against WORKING on cars in their parking lot. They don't care what mods you have.

If they did, I'd be movin'

Yes, as of now my 05 GT is bone stock. The intake and tuner will be my first mods. I know the tuner helps with the throttle response a lot, and according to brenspeeds website, 30rwhp is common with this combo! Next mod after this will probably be either Flowmaster axelbacks or steeda underdrive pullies...

Pypes

bloggins said:
I did check out brenspeed's website and I liked what I saw. It's definitely on my list to consider.

Warlock,
Hehe, you'd be good in sales :)

V8JamesGT,
Is yours completely stock right now? If so, I'm looking forward to your results.

The supercharger kit on their site also looks good, but I don't know if I should just get the CAI/Tuner combo first only to have to sell it when I upgrade, or if I should just wait.

Decisions, decisions... :D

At Brenspeed scope out the Pypes Violators axel back mufflers. I put them on at the same time I installed the C&L intake and the Brenspeed tune with the SCT Xcal2.

They are too pretty to hide under the car really. They weigh at least half as much as the stock mufflers. They are made of high quality polished stainless steel, guaranteed for life. The 4 inch rolled outlets are sweet, and from behind the car you can see the mirror like finnish on the lower part of the mufflers, looks great. The sound is just what you want your Stang to sound like. And you can still cruise in quiet as long as you stay off the gas. No drone at all. They sound deep and solid, between the sound of the Pypes and the C&L intake when you let it eat, its a sound that you will hear in your sleep!

bloggins said:

If $$ is an issue, you may want to get the flash tuner first, as you will need it for ay furure mods. The tuner alone will get rid fo the throttle lag that you're experiencing.

Marine One said:
If $$ is an issue, you may want to get the flash tuner first, as you will need it for ay furure mods. The tuner alone will get rid fo the throttle lag that you're experiencing.

I guess I just need to contact Brenspeed and ask them if I can take the price of the tuner off the S/C kit if I end up buying it so I don't buy two tuners.

Yeah, $$ is an issue right now, but that's not permanent so I'll probably take your advice.

BTW, what's the story on these cars' default ECU profiles? Do they come detuned from the factory because of emmissions requirements, or are they just tuned more for the average driver?

Tuner

Marine One said:

Marine One is right about that, and I should have mentioned it. I know money is certainly an object for me. I just put $950.00 on a credit card to Brenspeed for my mufflers, tuner, and C&L.

Im dead meat when my wife see's the bill!

You should save up for the Kenne Bell blower kit. It comes with a REAL cold air kit that actually gets cold air from outside the engine compartment and it comes with the tune for the supercharger that will also address other performance issues in the stock tune.
If you buy a cold air kit now it WILL NOT work with the KB supercharger.

I say just save up and get the intake and tuner at the same time... The tuner a lone is $379 and the JLT II Intake and Tuner together is $554. So its like your only paying $175 for the intake which is a very good deal. Then the C&L Intake and Tuner is $675. So its like your only paying $296 when you would normally pay $369.99 for that intake a lone. So save yourself some money and just get the intake and tuner together!

BTW, does the JLT Intake & Tuner come with a heat sheild?

Supercharger

StonePony said:
You should save up for the Kenne Bell blower kit. It comes with a REAL cold air kit that actually gets cold air from outside the engine compartment and it comes with the tune for the supercharger that will also address other performance issues in the stock tune.
If you buy a cold air kit now it WILL NOT work with the KB supercharger.

I would love to have a supercharger on my 07 GT. I just cant afford one, wish I could. But since the cost of my C&L CAI and 93 octane tune from Brenspeed was cheap by comparison to buying a supercharger and all that goes with it, I went that way. It will be years before I could afford what you have done on your car. Im just tooo impatient to wait and be stock all that time.

Supercharger

Well, I have allways liked Paxton's, just because I have seen them running on many a car for over 20 years, and they look cool "to me".

Old guy's get set in there way's..

Okay, I got the JLT intake and SCT tuner today and I couldnt wait until friday to install it so I went a head and did it tonight. After taking it for a quick spin with the 87 tune I noticed a big difference in throttle response. You can also hear that big filter sucking in a lot of air and the exhaust does sound slightly louder. I'll give my final impressions and pics after I upload the 93 tune and take it for another spin... But this combo is great!