Got my C4 AAMCO rebuild back today..Oh Man...I need some advise

Car drove fine for 5 miles then would not shift out of first in D from a stop...does shift 1-2 manually then in D coasts

returned to shop this evening - they suspect: sticking valves in valve body. Kept car for investigation tomorrow.

Now I saw on the receipt that he installed anew filter. I mentioned to the manager that I had bought a filter and wound up cleaning and reinstalling the old one instead last time I serviced the tranny because the new filter did not match up, nor did it have the tab which holds the spring and throttle limit pressure valve. He said he had no knowledge of a spring under the filter.

Here is the problem: I told them it was a 68 C4. But it seems it is a 70 or later trans. I compared the online photo of a filter for the 68 C4 and it has no tab on it. The 70 and later C4 filter does have the tab for the throttle limit pressure valve and spring.

Question. What filter did he put in if the 68 filter holes do not match the VB? How would the trans operate without the pressure valve and spring? Could that cause the no shift issue?

Would the replacement 24 spline torque converter they installed fit on a 26 spline shaft that must be on that tranny?

Could this error in trans identification void my warranty? Should I tell the manager I think it's a 70 or later tranny based on the photos of filters I found online? Or see what he says on his own tomorrow? Maybe I should call early tomorrow so he can look for the existence of my throttle limit pressure valve and spring?

• Sponsors (?)

Torque converter would not fit. The actual shaft size is different. See link below. I would think that if the throttle pressure valve would cause the problem you described it would be obvious from the beginning. Plus my understaning is that if missing you'd get slow shifts. Not what you described. You may want to mention about the srpring again but I'd limit the amount of other information you give them - years etc. They are suppose to be the experts.

How To Build A Better C4 Transmission - Mustang Monthly Magazine

I'm thinking that if the modulator valve is bad or the vacuum line came loose that it would not shift into 3rd and you would have to shift it manually from first to second. Might want to check that.