Got my car back!!!

foxmustangman

Member
Jun 20, 2007
196
1
16
Idaho
YAY!!! I've been so deprived! :( It's been a month and a half without my car and I finally have it back! It's so much fun! I'm so Excited!:D

I think when the guy rebuilt the pump he did something...I dont know what..but it seems to have more torque!:D I've been peeling out everywhere and only half-pedal! It's so much fun!

AHHHH! You just have no idea how excited I am! :D :flag: :SNSign: :p :D :nice:
 
Well, I haven't had 4th gear for about 6 months now so I did an AOD-AOD swap in my garage on jackstands :( That took about 3 weeks, and then I dropped it and it wouldn't start. Apparently I ruined the transmission when I put it in (I have bad luck working on transmissions). So it sat in my garage for about 2 weeks trying to figure out what to do. Finally we took it to our mechanic and he fixed it which took about a week.



My mechanic is really cool too. He owns about 7 Mustangs...four of which are fox's including an 84 GT350, and a 1993 COBRA R!!!
 
well if you didnt lock the TQ converter you could burn your tranny, but that would mean your car would have to start?? how exactly could you screw it up by bolting it in??? did you unplug a harness or something?
 
YAY!!! I've been so deprived! :( It's been a month and a half without my car and I finally have it back! It's so much fun! I'm so Excited!:D

I think when the guy rebuilt the pump he did something...I dont know what..but it seems to have more torque!:D I've been peeling out everywhere and only half-pedal! It's so much fun!

AHHHH! You just have no idea how excited I am! :D :flag: :SNSign: :p :D :nice:



cool..now get a video or :ban:
 
i bet he put the convertor on the fly wheel and tightened the engine down until the convertor shaft was smashing against the pump and the engine was locked down and the starter couldnt turn it over.
or he just stuck the converotr in and didnt do the 3 click deal and smashed it together.
 
i bet he put the convertor on the fly wheel and tightened the engine down until the convertor shaft was smashing against the pump and the engine was locked down and the starter couldnt turn it over.
or he just stuck the converotr in and didnt do the 3 click deal and smashed it together.


when i put the new trans in my car it would'nt start either...but i forgot to put the power cable back on the starter :nonono:
 
i bet he put the convertor on the fly wheel and tightened the engine down until the convertor shaft was smashing against the pump and the engine was locked down and the starter couldnt turn it over.
or he just stuck the converotr in and didnt do the 3 click deal and smashed it together.

Yeah, the last one. I had and still have no idea what the 3 click deal is, so...
 
i bet he put the convertor on the fly wheel and tightened the engine down until the convertor shaft was smashing against the pump and the engine was locked down and the starter couldnt turn it over.
or he just stuck the converotr in and didnt do the 3 click deal and smashed it together.

Please elaborate on the 3-click deal. I might need to know this for future reference, in case my future T-5 swap goes afoul somehow and I need to stick my AOD back in the '86...
 
on my old t/a you had to turn the converter when you installed it and it would kind of click when it locked itself in. I dont think it clicked three times, but I am sure the ford parts are different.

if you didnt do this then it would bind agains tthe flywheel and not let it turn or worse it wouldnt pump fluid through the tranny and you would toast it right off the bat.
 
Not seating the converter will damage the front pump. That great you got your car back. It prolly has more torque because you are used to driving something else. Whenever my Cobra feels slow, I drive my notch around for a week, then jump back in the Cobra....problem solved.
 
Thats what I thought at first...but I KNOW that it wasnt like this. Plus when I come to stop lights it kicks back into 1st gear giving her a "vroughm". It never did that before.


I also raced my friends Camaro and beat him! Now maybe he'll shut up about my car!
 
if your tranny "kicks" into gear, especially on deceleration then you will be looking into replacing it soon. that will kill it pretty fast.

mine shifts down as i slow down..i really hate this aod more and more everyday i drive it...like today for example...driving down the road at around 45 ( slick spots here and then) and its in od...i give it a little gas...and i mean a little and it kicks down into 3rd and start spinning....aods suck, i hate how you cant control what gear you want to be in. :notnice:
 
You guys are lucky, my old one and my sisters AOD (hers is an AODE) both just upshifted until it was in OD and stayed there. Her car will bog down to 800 RPM until you give it over half throttle, and then usually downshifts twice as your foots into it. My AOD did this as well, although not as bad. Her car will actually shutter and run rough because it's at such a low RPM.
 
an auto tranny is supposed to downshift, but if it is doing it hard enough to make a "vroughm" when you come to a stop, that aint normal.

well when i rip it back into first it dose that but its because i want it to.. when mine down shifts when im breaking its like 200 rpms jump and you barley feel it...nothing drastic....its a fresh rebuild...now the org trans that was in my stang was horrible...it slipped horribly after you drove it for a few and when it down shifted it truly down shifted lol.