Got new Fluidyne 3-row radiator, water temperature gauge still the same. Normal?

Seraphitia102

will post boobie pics for a supercharger
Oct 11, 2004
California
I just got a brand new Fluidyne 3-row radiator :) I definitely wanted to replace the stocker with plastic tanks (my friend's radiator cracked where the plastic tanks are). Though when I had it installed, I noticed my water temperature gauge is at the same position as when I had the stock radiator installed. Is this normal? I assumed (falsely perhaps) that the gauge should go down a bit with the large performance radiator. Is this possibly because I retained the stock 192 degree thermostat? Is there any benefit to having a better performing radiator if the water temp is the same?

• Sponsors (?)

The thermostat is what is setting your coolant temperature.

A "bigger" rad is usually only needed if you seriously up the power level of the car. Engines are not really efficient and over 30% of the heat of the fuel burned has to be dissipated in the cooling system. If you create far more power you're also creating far more waste heat which has to be dealt with by the radiator.

Just tooling around town with the odd WOT burst likely isn't going to tax the OE cooling system. It's sustained high-power driving (e.g. track days), or towing or the use of an automatic trans with a high stall converter (for example) where lots of extra heat is being generated where you'll see the benefit of a bigger rad.

The short answer is no, puttng in a bigger radiator won't make the gauge read lower

And IMO opinion in SoCal stop and go traffic a larger radiator will help even with a stock or mostly stock engine...

Hey seriphita! Long time no see let's see some pics of your fabulous car!
Sure I will post some now (at least of the radiator) :)

IMG_8061.jpg

My old radiator on the left (I can't stand having the black plastic tanks on the sides) and my new aluminum radiator on the right.

IMG_8064.jpg

The 3 row radiator looks massively great.

The thermostat is what is setting your coolant temperature.

A "bigger" rad is usually only needed if you seriously up the power level of the car. Engines are not really efficient and over 30% of the heat of the fuel burned has to be dissipated in the cooling system. If you create far more power you're also creating far more waste heat which has to be dealt with by the radiator.

Just tooling around town with the odd WOT burst likely isn't going to tax the OE cooling system. It's sustained high-power driving (e.g. track days), or towing or the use of an automatic trans with a high stall converter (for example) where lots of extra heat is being generated where you'll see the benefit of a bigger rad.

I know a bigger radiator might be overkill for my engine but it feels good to have peace-of-mind (having aluminum tanks). By the way, I'm planning on doing a 5.0 motor swap one day so I'm quite sure this radiator will be up to snuff with it :)

The short answer is no, puttng in a bigger radiator won't make the gauge read lower

And IMO opinion in SoCal stop and go traffic a larger radiator will help even with a stock or mostly stock engine...

Southern California stop-and-go traffic is insane (especially on the 405)! I really feel good having a radiator that can last.

Attachments

• IMG_8061.jpg
    IMG_8061.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8061.jpg
    IMG_8061.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8064.jpg