Got something new....and its cool

• Sponsors (?)

I remember when the cops first got the mustangs..... Fastest things in the road...... Of course America had just gone through a decade of the slowest big bumpered " fuel mileage" hunks of junk ever....

@limp , in Hawaii police officers use their own vehicles for patrol, and they get a monthly allowance to maintain the vehicle.... but they actually own the vehicle. It is their personal vehicle which they pay for with a removeable blue roof light, and they can use it on their off duty time as they please. IF I happened to be a police officer, then allegedly we could have had our friend who owned the Ford dealership order the cars for us for police work back then. This was the only way a Police Package car (SSP) could have ever been ordered and sold to an individual police officer instead of an agency. At least that I know of....allegedly....;);)
In 1988 Damerow Ford, here in Beaverton for some reason had a bunch of extra OSP SSP cars that the state of Oregon did not want? I do not remember the number they had total off the top of my head but they sent all but 3 to Saleen for conversion. The remaining 3 were sold to the public. They were ad cars in the local paper. An older fella that lived near where I grew up bought one. I talked with him about it at a party we were both invited to. White 5 speed with blue interior and roll up windows.

Reactions: 3 users
I was thinking Cool! about the rims. Then I saw all the fitment notes. Do you know anyone who is running these?
  • 1979-93 Mustang (All) - May require a front 8MM spacer to keep the grease cap from pushing out the center cap.
If I got a new set of Mustang repro style 10 hole wheels, and had to run an 8mm spacer up front for grease cap clearance that was not included, I might just run the new rear ones, stock ones up front, and ask LMR WTH? when I returned them.
At least their notes are extensive.

I was surprised to read that ten hole rims came stock on SSPs. I thought I saw black painted steel rims with a center cap on Nebraska State Patrol mustangs. Was that an option???

Last edited:
I remember the new body style T-Bird with 10 hole wheels when they came out..... The schnizzle........
Was that in 83?
Somewhere around that time. T-bird 10 holes are probably what I ran on my 79. They had the Ford logo in the middle, and were less expensive at the yards than if I asked for Mustang ten hole rims. :shrug:

Somewhere around that time. T-bird 10 holes are probably what I ran on my 79. They had the Ford logo in the middle, and were less expensive at the yards than if I asked for Mustang ten hole rims. :shrug:

Were the wheels any different for each model?? My son and I, when we first got the 83, looked at a set of 10 holes for it a friend had for sale. Getting rid of the metric TRX wheels was gonna happen... We brought a couple of the ten holes home and they did not look good on the car.. I took em back.... Can't say why, they just did... Ten holes are one of my favorite wheels from that era.......
DSCF0014.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree @Noobz347 , completely stock brake system right down to the drum rears. I also laugh at the guys claiming the cars had a "special engine with more power". Nope. Never happened.
I think the only "engine mod" was a trans cooler for the autos? :shrug:

I may have also heard some stuff about a larger capacity radiator but I don't recall the outcome of that conversation.

Spent some time in the HOT sun today with this beast of a parts car and yanked out the stock K member. Going to replace the tubular that is currently in the car. Not a fan of it.

20220822_143623.jpg

20220822_175801.jpg

Attachments

• 20220822_143615.jpg
    20220822_143615.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 1 users