Got to align my hood.

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Okay guys here goes I finally placed my hood on the car but the alignment is off bigtime. If I bring it down it will be on top of the passenger side fender. I need to get it a little under an inch towards the drivers side. How do you guys go about doing this. I want all the best techniques possible I don't want to risk scratching my paint or anything.

• Sponsors (?)

If I remember well, there have been several posts asking this. What you need to do is loosen the front bolt on the hood hinge and push down until it aligns. The hinge will pivot on the rear bolt.
Sounds weird, but they say it works.

I don't know what is considered technically correct, but I've always installed the hood before the fenders to avoid fender damage. Align it by eye as best I can without fenders, then attach fenders and tweek the hood.

I had the same problem on my 67. It took a long time to figure it out. Loosen the hinge bolts on the fender and RAISE the hood hinge to lower it. Then adjust front to back and side to side with the bolts on the hood. It takes two people. Adjust the hinges backwards from what looks correct.

if it was removed without adjusting anything it can go back on without adjusting mutch. the hood hinges have 2 bolts going through them that attatch the hood to the hinges. assuming you didnt unbolt the hinges from the engine bay you shouldnt have a problem getting the hood on. loosely bolt the hood onto the hinges and lower the hood untill it latches. from there you can move one side of the hood forward or backward to get it to lign up correctly. if the hinges were taken off the car then your gonna have to either use shims or raise the hinges by loosening their bolts and pulling them up or down slightly and retightening.