Got to drive an 04 Cobra

Red2000GT

Founding Member
Sep 10, 2000
Regina,Sask.Canada
The guy I know with the 04 Mystichrome Cobra had his car out and brought it by the store for me to check out. I was sitting in the driver's seat checking out the Mystic treatment to the other seats and the feel of the seats in general.(Much nicer than the GT,more lumbar and thigh support without being to much in the way) and he holds out the keys and says "take her around the block". My jaw about bounced off the pavement! He hops in the passenger seat and utters the best words I've heard all day "drive it like you drive your own car" :jaw:
I look him in the eye and he's not laughing or kidding. We pull onto Dewdney,I stall it starting out from the stop sign cause I'm trying to take it easy,and again he tells me,"don't be shy just drive it like its yours".
So I pull out and drop the hammer. He's already got the traction control off and we actually didn't slide around that much,but it was definately spinning and I hit second,short shifting it at about 5500 and she pulls like mad and I stopped and we're doing like 80 k. We pull onto Lewvan and I hit it again,1st,2nd,3rd and look down and we're doing 130k already,so I slow down.
Frickin thing moves. He's just laughing and says something about it "having the stuff" I don't really rememeber cause I was concentrating on traffic and looking for cops. Brought it back to the store in one piece,which was my main concern. Super sweet car,too bad it was cloudy today and the paint didn't stand out that much. It was a hoot to have it running in 3rd gear at about 1700 rpm and just hit the gas and it pulls like mine in the top of 2nd(without the nitrous). The only gripe was the tranny,it really did not want to be shifted quickly,I didn't try as hard as I could but still it resisted even remotely quick shifts.
Still an absolute blast and probably the only time in the next 5 years I'll get to drive one. It hooks up awesome,no wheel hop that i noticed,really quiet,excellent ride,TONS of torque. It's a good day to be me.

• Sponsors (?)

I just wish KB has the kit out before I bought the Novi. I would kill for that kind torque down low.

The Novi is good but only makes itself known around 3g's. Just imagine what the 07 Shelby is going to be like.

I believe I saw that car awhile ago. Real nice machine with the Mystic paint, especially on a nice sunny day. A nice detail is the custom liscence plate that says TRMNATR (or something like that) which is what Ford nick named the upcoming Cobra in development.

That's awesome! I'm a Mustang nut and one of the only sports cars i've never been in is a Cobra. I've ridden in Vette's, Vipers, Camaros, Firebirds. I've even sat in a Lambo and a Ferrari but I've never gotten the chance to ride in a 03-04 Cobra, sad :nonono: .

Green4.6GT said:
thats sweet, i'm glad they fixed the wheel hop problem.. the pre 03s were TERRIBLE.. the wheel hop was bad enough on that 01 i drove, that had i been looking that would have been enough to make me not buy it :notnice:

Yeah and how hard would it be to swap in a solid rear end.

Green4.6GT said:
alot more work than adding like 50 hp to a 99-04 GT and already having the solid rear...

for 390 hp, id deal with the irs (or swap it).. but for 320, no deal, it was terrible..

Ryan you are just a wuss.

The rear cound be changed out in an afternoon. Besides drop on that nitrous kit you already have and it will eat just about anything out there.

WOT said:
Ryan you are just a wuss.

The rear cound be changed out in an afternoon. Besides drop on that nitrous kit you already have and it will eat just about anything out there.

i'm not saying its not fast, and they are cool as hell..

however..

if i was buying now, for 29,900 there is no way that id buy a car that i hate something about it that much.. id either a: buy a GT for 15 and drop the other 14 into it... buy an older non irs cobra (this is probably what id do, plus IMO they look cooler)... for like 18, and sink 11k into it.. or save up more and get a mach or newer cobra...

for that kinda money i would not buy that car after driving it. :shrug:

Green4.6GT said:
thats sweet, i'm glad they fixed the wheel hop problem.. the pre 03s were TERRIBLE.. the wheel hop was bad enough on that 01 i drove, that had i been looking that would have been enough to make me not buy it :notnice:

Actually if you take an '03/04 Cobra and add 4-5 lbs of boost, the wheel hop magically re-appears! :rolleyes: I still like the irs for everyday driving over the potholes of life...Regina city streets! :nice:

Hey Chris never offered to let me drive the Mystic!!
Hogger

Attachments

• 108_0831B.jpg
    108_0831B.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 68
Hogger said:
Actually if you take an '03/04 Cobra and add 4-5 lbs of boost, the wheel hop magically re-appears! :rolleyes: I still like the irs for everyday driving over the potholes of life...Regina city streets! :nice:

Hey Chris never offered to let me drive the Mystic!!
Hogger

:( that sucks.. but at least then you have 400+ rwhp to make you feel better about the wheel hop.. at 400 i might forgive it, 280 probably not :rlaugh: