Grant Wheel Installation

I am certainly not a "Big government follow every mandate person" Hell, I havent had smog equipment on any fox body car in 30 years.

That being said- my concern is in the event of an accident or other traffic related event if you have disabled the airbag. Suppose you get injured- I would assume any injury claim would be denied. If you let someone drive your car or sold the car to someone and they get injured- are you liable. Can you receive citations, fines, penalties, etc.

Not a lawyer but I'm thinking yes.

Not telling people not to do it. Just Murphy's luck- I'd be the guy who did it and ended up fubar. Life's all about taking risks. You roll the dice and see what comes up.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The reason I have not swapped steering wheels is the airbag. It is illegal to remove/disable it and I also cannot find the Saleen/T Bird steering wheel mounted cruise controls and hub.

I couldn't find the mount for the cruise switches either,ended up fabricating my own.Just install the plate above the standard Momo hub adapter.Start out with a cardboard template then transfer it to 16/18 ga. steel plate.
momowheel001_zpsfe8d3163.jpg

Attachments

• momowheel001_zpsfe8d3163.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2,779
Reactions: 3 users
Every car I've ever modified has had the OEM steering wheel hit the rim of the trash can on it's way out in favor of an aftermarket replacement. This thread was my motivator to go out and see how my wheel was gonna fit, and I too would have a gap between the factory column cover and the Grant trim ring. (And I don't even have a tilt column).
This would be a concern for me if I wasn't gonna have to make a replacement column cover out of steel anyway. (The Fairmont cover had a shifter handle in it, and w/ the dash, the whole thing is too damn long anyway)
I'd say the gap is exaggerated in the case of a Fox column that has factory tilt so that there would be ample room for that to happen.

Maybe you could get some of that fuzzy hairspray stuff that bald guys use to fill in the gap?
That's all I got.

I couldn't find the mount for the cruise switches either,ended up fabricating my own.Just install the plate above the standard Momo hub adapter.Start out with a cardboard template then transfer it to 16/18 ga. steel plate.
very nice.. i'd love to have a tile wheel- that would mean just swapping the entire darn column for a non airbag 87-89 and that would solve one problem. It's been many years since I pondered doing this- aren't the electicral connections different for pre air bag and air bag columns

sorry about the hijack to the OP

Mad mike- only you would think of hair in a can...

That just gave me a funny feeling in my pants! Once again a great idea for my project! Thanks for the pic. Awesome and btw the 85/86 dash imo is the best looking of the fox bodies. Especially if those circles are filled with aftermarket gauges. More aggressive than the generic later models.

I did some plastic bonding on mine to create a cover, using the stock column cover. I bored the back of the hub out with a dremel (but maintained the square shape) to close the gap as well.
c0e9bd6409aeea1c975add9f8473e437.jpg

7fa58383d416bb4f5cb97fe9f8c491bc.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
If your car is post 89 and you add a grant steering wheel, you can use the stock column cover 1990-1993 minus the airbag clockspring. You would have to use the small tilt wheel collar from 1987-1989. Fits perfectly with no gap. You have to mod it, cut tabs and JB weld it to 1990-1993 stock column cover and paint JB Weld black. It can be done, not legal due to removal of airbag and not recommended. But can be done.