Grinding Calipers

AidenAndrew

Aug 20, 2015
I just checked the clearance between by front callipers and inner wheel rim, and it is about .01'' !!! (I know this because I measured the thickest piece of cardboard that I could fit under there)

I'd like at least 1/16'' of clearance for comfort, and for that to happen I'll have to grind the callipers. The callipers are the OEM ones here:

Mustang Front Brake Calipers (87-93) 5.0

I need to grind the top part of the calliper (when viewed in the picture), directly above where the outer pad would go. Looking at the pictures, the callipers are very thick, and it looks pretty safe. Thoughts? Anyone else deal with this?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, that would give the clearance, but to move the calliper outside of the ``narrow part" of the rim I described about, I'd have to space the wheel out by about 3/4''. The wheel already sticks out a hair, and I'd really like not too make it even worse.

Just curious, does anyone know if an 82-86 caliper would fit on an 87-93 rotor/spindle? I wonder because the 82-86 calliper has the same size piston, yet a lower profile for better clearance...

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here. Clearly, the rim does not fit the car, else wise there wouldn't be a interference between the caliper, and the inside of the wheel. Grinding on a caliper to get rolling clearance will more than likely not be enough when it comes to hard cornering, or braking, and you'll probably have to grind them even more.

Grinding on a caliper = Bad idea.

Finding a smaller caliper that allows more clearance equates to decreasing the force of the clamp that grabs the rotor in a stop.

Decreasing the size of a caliper beyond its intended stock application = Bad idea.

For the sake of your safety, get some wheels that fit.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just gonna go out on a limb here. Clearly, the rim does not fit the car, else wise there wouldn't be a interference between the caliper, and the inside of the wheel. Grinding on a caliper to get rolling clearance will more than likely not be enough when it comes to hard cornering, or braking, and you'll probably have to grind them even more.

Grinding on a caliper = Bad idea.

Finding a smaller caliper that allows more clearance equates to decreasing the force of the clamp that grabs the rotor in a stop.

Decreasing the size of a caliper beyond its intended stock application = Bad idea.

For the sake of your safety, get some wheels that fit.
koywr.jpg

I'd really have to see WHAT part of the caliper, the OP is talking about. If a structural rib, I would advise against it as that would reduce strength when the caliper is clamping. I can't in good faith say it would be OK and then have a caliper crack under hard braking.

I would have to agree with madmike. The rims do not fit the car. I generally say this whenever spacers are being used but would also extend it to whenever you need to make physical changes to important structural parts that may compromise their integrity.