Electrical Ground Wire Help Please

rattlecan96gt

Dec 22, 2016
Dallas, Texas
what I am trying to figure out is this red wire is connected to that bolt on the rac and it goes to the subframe right by it ...my question is shouldn't it be going from the motor mount to the subframe this may be a stupid question but does it make a difference ?
ground cable.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

There should be one of the bolts that holds the motor mount plate to the block that is a two headed stud. Where the smaller is for the grounding strap ring terminal.

As others have pointed out there's a bolt on the bottom of the left hand frame rail where the other end of the grounding strap goes.

If connected to the steering rack, this couldn't possibly be providing a high current ground needed for the alternator to work correctly.

If you think this might be your problem then try connecting a booster cable from the battery negative to the alternator case and see what happens.

Or measure the voltage between the alternator case and battery negative. Should be very small. The size of the voltage drop indicates the quality of the ground. A large value means a poor ground.

I redid all my power and ground wires with 1/0 wiring. On the passenger side I went from the motor mount bolt to the sway bar mount frame bolt. On the driver side I went from the motor mount to the k member bolt to the main ground hookup up by the battery.