GT-40 Turbo Swirl

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not super familiar with part numbers, are the Y303's the aluminum turbo swirls? I know people get the gt40 heads off the explorers and did model come with the gt40p's?

Drew_Carroll said:
I'm not super familiar with part numbers, are the Y303's the aluminum turbo swirls? I know people get the gt40 heads off the explorers and did model come with the gt40p's?
The y303 head is the first alum. version that ford came out with for the 302. To my knowlege.
The x303 is an improved version of the y303 and i believe this is the one they refer to as turboswirl. Just a name though. The x head is the better head.
Both x and y are alum.
The cast gt40 and gt40p heads came on the explorer and the moutaineer and are almost identical in every way.(to my knowlege)
The gt40 cast and gt40 alum. y head are almost the same design just one is alum.
im not sure of the exact years that came with what.
Hope this helps. :cheers:

SilverStripes has the Y303s on his '93GT. Depends on what circles you run in as to which are called the "turboswirl". The X303 has greater flow, larger valves and better port design. The Y303 is an aluminum version of the GT40P heads. Neither came on a factory engine. Select crate motors and individual sales from FRPP were the only way they came at first. Now any FRPP dealer can get you either set. E7TEs came on all GT/LX 5.0s from '87-'93. The '93 Cobra came with F3ZE heads which is the Ford/SVT designation for the GT40 heads that came on the Cobra. F3 = 1993 Z = Mustang E = Engine

The date wasn't from when the head was made but when the original casting was designed. E7TE translates into E7 = 1987 T = Truck E = Engine

I have never understood why those heads came on all '87-'93 5.0s, but carried the T casting designation instead of the Z for Mustangs. Ford must have just used the same heads on all 5.0s be it truck or Mustang.