GT auto to V6 stick - is this a good or bad idea?

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
Hey all. I need some opinions, quick!

I'm going to look at a V6 Mustang tomorrow that's a 5 speed. The reason I'm interested in it is because of the 5 speed mainly, and better gas mileage.

I'm wondering what you GT guys think. Do you think this is a terrible idea to downgrade 2 cylinders? Or would it be a good idea, seeing as how gas prices are high, the insurance would be cheaper, and the car is a manual?

I currently have a diablosport predator, and I have done exhaust work to my auto and put 4.10s in the rear. I like the car's power a lot, but I don't ever go to a track as there is not one near me.

Mod plans for the V6 would be 17" wheels, short-throw shifter, tint, CAI, possibly exhaust (but maybe not), Ford Racing "C" springs, and a strut-tower brace. I'd want the V6 to be more for fun show and handling, not straight-line power.

Mod plans for my GT are: Tint, Magnaflow catted X, some sort of sleeper muffler, Ford Racing "C" springs, strut tower brace... I think that's it, for now. :D

Would I be better off converting my GT to a 5 speed, or am I better of just going with the V6 and making it look nice and not really worry about the power so much, but just play around with a 5 speed? I've heard it's a ton of money to convert a car, and most people tell me just to trade it for a 5 speed if I really want that. I would not be doing the work myself - a shop would do it for me, so I would have to pay their labor.

I would be new to a 5 speed, I should mention that. I've always had autos for ease of use, but I'm starting to want the 5 speed's control.

So, what's the verdict? :nice: :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Your better off keeping the GT leaving it auto and modding it that way.

Going to a v6 will make it seem like you are just not moving. I know personally going from my GT to my work car (Civic) I feel like a hazard on the road... like i cant move away from anything. Same goes for my sisters 2000 v6 auto stang. The thing just feels like it cant make its own way through traffic... somewhat dangerous in my mind.

No V6, their gas milage really isnt very much better than the GTs. I get 22-23MPGs usually, v6s are around 25-26 i think. If you were conserned about milage, why on earth did you put 4.10s in? they will drop you. But hey, do what you want....BUT YOU WILL MISS THE POWER, AND KICK YOURSELF IN THE BUTT! LOL

I wouldn't do it, but that's my opinion. I drive my mom's '02 honda accord around, it's a 4 cyl., and I feel like i'm a slug on the road compared to my GT. I love that Honda tho, it looks really nice. But if ur looking for looks, just continue with modding ur GT. One thing to consider about the transmission is the traffic that you drive in on a normal basis. I have a 5-spd and thats only because there isnt much heavy traffic where I live, but if it's decent-to-heavy where you live i'd stick with the auto. Sometimes i wish i had an auto, but it's only when i'm in bad traffic or being lazy. Stick with the GT man, you won't regret it. I'm getting just as good mileage in my GT as i was in my '99 V6, so that's also something to consider :nice:

Fun factor?

jasonh_86 said:
I wouldn't do it, but that's my opinion. I drive my mom's '02 honda accord around, it's a 4 cyl., and I feel like i'm a slug on the road compared to my GT. I love that Honda tho, it looks really nice. But if ur looking for looks, just continue with modding ur GT. One thing to consider about the transmission is the traffic that you drive in on a normal basis. I have a 5-spd and thats only because there isnt much heavy traffic where I live, but if it's decent-to-heavy where you live i'd stick with the auto. Sometimes i wish i had an auto, but it's only when i'm in bad traffic or being lazy. Stick with the GT man, you won't regret it. I'm getting just as good mileage in my GT as i was in my '99 V6, so that's also something to consider :nice:

I don't have to drive in traffic much at all. I hardly do any "stop-and-go" driving.

Yeah, the 4.10s aren't the greatest gas mileage mod. At the time though, gas wasn't 2.20 a gallon either. I get around 20 mpg now, or around 260 a tank. I feel like with the V6 5 speed, I'd be able to drive either way depending on what I was wanting to do (save gas, or horse around).

I don't have a TON of money to put into the car, just enough for some little stuff. I don't have enough for a "built" auto, high-stall torque converters, or anything like that. But, I guess I don't need those things if I keep my auto.

The main deal is being able to control my car more. An auto doesn't let the driver do too much as far as the shifts go. :(

Are V6 stangs that slow? I guess I should mention it is a 2003, same year as my GT. I know it'll be slower, and I do drive/ride in other cars frequently that aren't anywhere near as powerful as my GT, so I do have an idea of what that is like, at least. And I've driven 2 V6 automatic Mustangs, plus I owned a V6 Camaro (which I liked a lot, actually) and a 4 cylinder 2002 Honda Prelude (or whatever the last year of the prelude was). Both cars were really enjoyable, not because of the straight line acceleration, but the modding and handling factors. :shrug:

Does the fun factor of the 5 speed V6 not outweigh the 8 cylinder factor for daily driving? I don't need a hot rod, just a nice handling car with a little "oomph."

More info! Thanks for all your opinions so far! :flag:

I also owned a '98 Prelude, it was quicker and better handling than my '99 mustang V6. And the V6 camaros, depending on year, are usually quicker/better handling than the V6 mustangs.. as bad as i hate to admit that a camaro is/was better :notnice: But i would stick with the V8, however i am also in a bit of a situation, needing to either trade my GT off or buy an older Honda civic or something of the sort, so i could have something to drive during the week and save gas.. but it's your decision, your money and your life so do what makes you happy.. good luck with your decision! :nice:

jasonh_86 said:
I also owned a '98 Prelude, it was quicker and better handling than my '99 mustang V6. And the V6 camaros, depending on year, are usually quicker/better handling than the V6 mustangs

i read this and the only thing that goes through my head is the running the special olympics picture. its like deciding on a geo metro or geo storm based on which is best for towing. it doesnt make sense

Wow, if I was your Mustang GT, I'd put myself in neutral and roll off a cliff. Talk about feeling no love whatsoever! So little love, that my owner would rather ditch me for a V6 just because it has a manual tranny???? Poor auto Mustang GT... :(

Mine is thankful to have a loving owner. An owner who'll look past it's deficiencies and appreciate it for what it is. Mine is a special child, loved uncondiitonally, even if the average 2F2F ricer thinks it's an "uncool" car just because it's an automatic without "nawz". Some may think it's a boring car, but I found it quite fun...for instance, a couple weeks ago when I put a unsuspecting BMW M3 in it's place.

Umm, anyways, I think you're making a BIG mistake. DON'T GIVE YOUR AUTO GT UP FOR ADOPTION!!!!!! :fuss: :fuss: :fuss: :fuss:

Auto tranny mods? :)

inferno9898 said:
ricer

the loss in asset value of selling the gt and buying a v6 will far outweigh any gas and insurance savings

True. Asset value of the GT will hold a lot better.

Nah, I don't rice out. :nono:

I think that a better idea is to hold onto the GT, and when the next cool mustang comes out and i can afford it, grab the GT version of it in a 5 (or 6?) speed.

Thanks for the opinions all. :flag: Guess I'll look into fun auto tranny mods. Someone point me to some of those!

Red03Mustang said:
Mod plans for the V6 would be 17" wheels, short-throw shifter, tint, CAI, possibly exhaust (but maybe not), Ford Racing "C" springs, and a strut-tower brace. I'd want the V6 to be more for fun show and handling, not straight-line power.

this falls under my broad "rice" umbrella. go fast goodies on a car that will never go fast...honda syndrome

02LaserRed2V said:
Wow, if I was your Mustang GT, I'd put myself in neutral and roll off a cliff. Talk about feeling no love whatsoever! So little love, that my owner would rather ditch me for a V6 just because it has a manual tranny???? Poor auto Mustang GT... :(

Mine is thankful to have a loving owner. An owner who'll look past it's deficiencies and appreciate it for what it is. Mine is a special child, loved uncondiitonally, even if the average 2F2F ricer thinks it's an "uncool" car just because it's an automatic without "nawz". Some may think it's a boring car, but I found it quite fun...for instance, a couple weeks ago when I put a unsuspecting BMW M3 in it's place.

Umm, anyways, I think you're making a BIG mistake. DON'T GIVE YOUR AUTO GT UP FOR ADOPTION!!!!!! :fuss: :fuss: :fuss: :fuss:

You're one of those people with "fur children" aren't you?

Nah, just kidding. I get your point. Don't worry, I think I'll keep it. It's not that I thought it was a lowly car because it has an automatic. I was just wondering what the 5 speed world was like. People always bash "slushboxes" but I've liked them pretty well so far, and I don't think they are that bad.

It always seems like the really fast drag cars always have autos, anyway. More precision + less room for error = better times. :nice: