Paint and Body GT Ground Effects

603mustangs

Advanced Member
Sep 19, 2016
New Hampshire
The ground effects look like half melted shrinkydinks, no idea yet how to straighten them out after replacing the braces. Does heat work?

The rear bumper was notched for square tips. Without buying a new one, can this stuff be plastic welded or epoxied with a piece from a smashed donor part?

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_183722211_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210508_183722211_HDR.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I really need to turn off the craigslist auto search feature. Just drove to Ohio from NH, 13 hours each way to grab an all original, yet abused 92 GT. This is my 3rd such trip in less than 5 years. I feel like a crazy cat lady that needs to save all the cats in the neighborhood. Honestly. I can not stand to see these cars all **** up with stupid modifications when they are still all original after 29+ years. The all black interior is near flawless, no seat rips, some missing, but common trim pieces gone like the kick plates and seatbelt bolt covers. Original owner garaged it, the rubber outside is almost new, no pitting around the quarter glass at all. I had to save it, had to.

For the ones whose first action is to Google "best mods for a fox body" please, ffs, there are plenty of molested fox bodies out there to further :leghump: up, please leave these abused original survivors alone. For real, please. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

My real reason for this post...

The ground effects look like half melted shrinkydinks, no idea yet how to straighten them out after replacing the braces. Does heat work? I might make a heat box like they use for powder coating if so.

The rear bumper was notched for square tips. Without buying a new one, can this stuff be plastic welded or epoxied with a piece from a smashed donor part?
Great save. I’m a big fan of all original.

Reactions: 2 users
Cut it up.
And gut it.
Remove all of the sound deadening, remove the weak assed engine, and replace it with an LS/ TH 400, then you’ll be preaching to the choir here. These guys are all about NOT keeping a fox stock, MOF the further away you get from stock, the better.
I personally have a 2JZ/4L80 combo that’s mild by comparison when considering the crazy sht that these guy are into....Maybe you would be more comfortable posting your stock questions in the ever mind numbing’ stock sht only supportive four eyed pride forum, not the radical assed bitches that frequent this place.

Oh yeah...My name is Mike too.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
On one of our vehicles, we had a rear fascia that looked great until someone bumped it in a parking lot. Then the specific filler, stitches and probably weld rod all came apart. That was a surprising mess and got a new bumper cover. If it had not been bumped into, we would not have ever known.

You can certainly heat up Urethane and bend it around. Getting the "waves" out of it with heat would be really difficult I think. I honestly think the way to deal with that as the parts become unobtainable is going to be to take them off, put them on a jig of some sort, then fill and sand them smooth.

EDIT: As far as the bumper is concerned, there are a lot of ways to deal with that. Google "Plastifix" and check out some youtube videos. It's pretty cool.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
For the waves I would try taking it off the car and placing it in the sun (nice sunny warm day) and see if it relaxes some of the waves out. Second choice would be heat with a heat gun, that upper section up from the backside (less damage to paint). Heat it as much as you can (almost not touchable), then clamp it top and bottom with some wood and let it cool naturally.

I have had some success doing this straightening some waves/bulges in lower area of a front GT cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Cut it up.
And gut it.
Remove all of the sound deadening, remove the weak assed engine, and replace it with an LS/ TH 400, then you’ll be preaching to the choir here. These guys are all about NOT keeping a fox stock, MOF the further away you get from stock, the better.
I personally have a 2JZ/4L80 combo that’s mild by comparison when considering the crazy sht that these guy are into....Maybe you would be more comfortable posting your stock questions in the ever mind numbing’ stock sht only supportive four eyed pride forum, not the radical assed bitches that frequent this place.

For the waves I would try taking it off the car and placing it in the sun (nice sunny warm day) and see if it relaxes some of the waves out. Second choice would be heat with a heat gun, that upper section up from the backside (less damage to paint). Heat it as much as you can (almost not touchable), then clamp it top and bottom with some wood and let it cool naturally.

I have had some success doing this straightening some waves/bulges in lower area of a front GT cover.
Cut it up.
And gut it.

I have seen the light! I am going to heavily modify this engine and update to today's technology while still keeping it looking stock. Like Iran picking a fight with America, I tried to race my cousin in his 20 stock mustang with an aod trans. I think I broke a hip. Those 12" high square hood scoops still look dumb on a street car though.