Fox GT side ground effect issues

Gs1987GT

Sep 25, 2019
MidAtlantic
Hello Gents, good afternoon,

I recently found a set of decent GT side ground effects to replace the originals on my 87 GT which are horribly warped.

Turns out due to peeling paint I need to have them soda or media blasted\stripped.

The closer I look at them now, while much better than mine, the replacements have some warp in them, they are not completely straight. I don't expect perfect for a 30 plus yr old original part, but still.

I don't have a price yet to strip them, but with the lack of any aftermarket reproductions, I don't have many options if I want the original look.

I have half an idea to have all of the GT stuff removed, holes filled and put LX front and rear bumper covers on it and be done. But it is an original GT 5 speed convertible so I hesitate to do that. I did buy a replacement rear trunk lid so I can remove the OEM one with the ugly luggage rack.

Are there any aftermarket side ground effect kits available I'm not aware of? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to spend the money on my replacements I purchased if in the end I won't be happy with the result... just not sure which way to go

Thanks
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

I am not aware of any aftermarket skirts. Filling the holes and going to LX bumpers is going to be quite the endeavor. My suggestion is to see what you can do with what you have. Maybe some heat applied to some strategic areas could help tone down the warping?

Most of the skirts on my 89 GT are in fair shape as well so I am interested in seeing what you come up with. Mine are not warped though but are weathered where the paint has flaked off (my car is two tone with the titanium lower). They are weathered to the point where the surface is pitted and no longer smooth . The front bumper is the worst from the main color down. Instead of sanding out the roughness, I thought of adding some sort of filler to skim in where the urethane is no longer smooth. I thought of using this stuff but I am not sure if it is a good filler for urethane.

Then I was going to try SEM 39283 bumper coater which I assume this is the correct color?

Reactions: 1 user
IMG_20220429_191950_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_192002_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220429_192002_HDR.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220429_192022_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220429_192022_HDR.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 68
Update:. I got the right side ground effect pulled off last evening and it's in even worse shape than I thought. I don't see any way to save it, it's that warped. I either have to attempt to clean up the replacements I purchased, buy the cerveni kit or take all off and convert to an LX.

I don't think I've ever seen one this warped. I wonder what makes them get that way? Extreme heat at some point? They are really bad.

Update:. I got the right side ground effect pulled off last evening and it's in even worse shape than I thought. I don't see any way to save it, it's that warped. I either have to attempt to clean up the replacements I purchased, buy the cerveni kit or take all off and convert to an LX.

I don't think I've ever seen one this warped. I wonder what makes them get that way? Extreme heat at some point? They are really bad.
How warped is the owner? :jester: The car might have caught it.

• Surprised
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

My guess would be a repaint over the stock color - the additional weight and subsequent heat retention from the urethane not breathing properly causing the pieces to warp. Only reason I thought of it was a buddy of mine in HS had an 87 GT in that cabernet color just like yours. Was two tone with the lower titanium when he got it, but his grandfather painted over the titanium to match the cabernet up top. The thickness and gloss of the paint on your trim pieces look like they were painted over at least once.

My 93 still has the original matte titanium trim in most spots and not warping at all. Even here in hot and sunny CA.

My guess would be a repaint over the stock color - the additional weight and subsequent heat retention from the urethane not breathing properly causing the pieces to warp. Only reason I thought of it was a buddy of mine in HS had an 87 GT in that cabernet color just like yours. Was two tone with the lower titanium when he got it, but his grandfather painted over the titanium to match the cabernet up top. The thickness and gloss of the paint on your trim pieces look like they were painted over at least once.

My 93 still has the original matte titanium trim in most spots and not warping at all. Even here in hot and sunny CA.
The car has a cheap (thin) maaco single stage paint job on it from the prior owner in the original medium Cabernet. I believe they were warped prior though and the car was only painted once prior so I don't believe that was the cause, it was garaged by the prior owner after the repaint. Could be though

I will try to get some more pics with it off the car. The replacements i have, the left is dang near perfect, the right has some small waves starting on its aft portion. I think I can get those out with some time and caution with a heat gun.

Trouble is the paint is chipping on one of the replacements so the shop I want to do the work wants me to have them media or soda blasted (stripped) so I don't know if that can be done without damaging the urethane or not. He specifically wanted the "Mustang GT" cleaned out.

I have to research who could possibly do that locally and what it would cost. I paid $200 for the replacements so I already have that in them. The cervenis kit is $525, but at least that way they would be (should be) straight and need minimal prep for paint. So I'm weighing my options

Last edited:
Heat them up with a heat gun to the point you can't touch them and then clamp them with a 1x2 board top and bottom. Let them fully cool and check the results. Repeat if necessary. I have straightened bent/stretched front bumper covers using this method. It was not perfect on the bumper cover but brought them to a usable state.

Question for y'all... If I go with cervenis... Do I have to remove all of the metal brackets on the rockers and fenders?

Thinking more I may go that way or everytime I look at the car and see some be warp in the side skirts it will bother me. Thanks