Gt Warning-console Lights Flash Once After Starting

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Hello folks,

I could use some assistance.

The vehicle: an '88 GT Vert.

The 4 warning lights under the right side of the cluster prove-out (like normal). A few seconds after the car starts, all 4 lights illuminate simultaneously for a few seconds and then extinguish (and don't illuminate again). Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Added thumb of the console in question. It's also added in a later post for the guys who were already following along.

Attachments

• warning console.JPG
    warning console.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Mike: Yeah, as far as I know they all function properly. I have had the low-fuel light come on in the past and it seemed to function fine. Only the fuel light was on (it's not like all of the lights flashed to get the driver's attention or anything like that).

I replaced the ignition switch somewhat recently (otherwise, I'd consider the ignition switch to be possibly causing a secondary prove-out - that's really what this feels like).

Noobz: There's not much to take a picture of (or are people not even sure which warning cluster I'm talking about)?

WHat you are describing is an 87-89 GT only feature....so a lot of guys are probably scratching their head wondering what you are talking about.

I installed one in my LX actually. Only thing that works is the low oil light. Don't feel like spending $100 for an 87-89 GT windshield washer bottle to get that light working. The bottle with the sensor is a RARE part.

Coolant won't work for me since i have an aftermarketr catch can.

As for the low fuel light...no idea what it would take to get that running.

As for your issue..i don't know simply because I don't have much experience with the cluster, but i seem to want to remember the lights do come on when cranking the motor

You've got the right console Mike (5L5). As noted initially, the console proves-out. It comes back on after the car has been idling for a few seconds. It stays on for about 5 seconds and extinguishes.

Mikestang63, I don't think it's a loose wire or a ground issue because of the above (something specific is setting it off since it's the same every time).

It doesn't bother me. I just wanted to see if anyone knew if it indicated that the panel was trying to tell me something or if anyone else had dealt with it.

Thank you again. :)

Attachments

• warning console.JPG
    warning console.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 130