GT40 Crate motor

matador91

Feb 1, 2007
Bothell
I'm new to this sight and I'm lookin for some help. I really want to get the GT40 crate motor with 345hp, so does anyone have any info about them crappin out or not producing the power they say? let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

My experiance is that they are not as impresive as one would hope, pleatly of guys throw junk yard parts together and come up with better results.

I think the real issue is those GT-40X heads need port work to even work marginaly well
and I am also not a fan of the "letter cams" that come with the motor

never heard any reliability issues, but have really been searching for them

also at 4 grand, their are better options

I see nothing wrong with the crate motor if you have nothing to start with and do not plan on putting alot of boost to it and it does come with everything minus an intake and distributor and you do not want to assemble a motor. you could build a 331ci stroker with the trick flow top end kit and make more power and have stronger parts, the limiting factor to that would be the block. or there is the holley kit and so on, or just peice it together. there are many ways to go just need to ask your self what is the end result that you are looking for, power adder or naturally asperated plus how fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend. oh yeah the crate motor with say 8lbs of boost should be able to run 12s on street tires and 11s on slickes

Have had mine since 1996. The only change I made was going from GT40 Iron Heads to TFS Heads and 1.7 RR's. Have about 10 - 12,000 miles on motor now and never had a problem. I think it's cheaper to buy a crate motor than it is to build a old one. You can still make modifications if you want.

I have 14K on one I put in in 1999, it started out with with 276 rwhp but I changed to an X303 cam with a port match job on the heads and intake and made 290 rwhp but the valves floated at 5600 rpm with the bigger cam so I switched to better springs and now put down 310 rwhp at 6200rpm. I have many laps around pacific Raceways with this setup and it always runs great. I thought I paid $2995? Have the prices gone up? You could make a better setup cheaper but would have to assemble it yourself, what about buying the Ford shortblock and bolting on a better set of heads?

Dan

I appreciate all the helpfull info on the motor guys, but I think I am going to go with a 331 bullet shortblock from DSS and build it the way I want. When it comes down to it it's about the same price the build it as it is to buy a long block that I wont be fully satisfied with. I'll take pictures and keep you guys posted. :SNSign:

I appreciate all the helpfull info on the motor guys, but I think I am going to go with a 331 bullet shortblock from DSS and build it the way I want. When it comes down to it it's about the same price the build it as it is to buy a long block that I wont be fully satisfied with. I'll take pictures and keep you guys posted. :SNSign:

I would go with a DSS short block . Used to run a 306 Pro Bullet on my old LX and it hold up to 17lbs of boost with no problems.