GT40 head - Is this serious damage?

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I'm looking for a set of GT40 heads for my build. Found a set locally but the guy selling them says a piece of ringland came loose from a cast piston and rattled around in #8 before being spat out. Claims damage is cosmetic and that valves do not leak and are not bent. He's is swapping them out for a set of TrickFlows.

Can anyone help me with this? Do you think anything here looks serious enough to walk? He's asking $350 for the pair (they are mildly ported as well).
GT40 Damage.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I'd Pass. Do they have the stock springs? Who ported them and do you have a flow sheet? I've seen some bad home port jobs. With any used head you are taking a risk and at a minimum they should be sent out for cleaning and checking of the guides. valves, trueness, magnaflux or sonic tested for cracks,etc.

You can pick up a set of explorer/mountaineer heads for under $100 at any local JY. Send them off to the machine shop to check the items above, add a set of TFS springs, and for about the same price as the heads this guys has you have a decent set of heads that are not a question mark when you throw them on the engine.

Bottom line is those heads are a dime a dozen and for a few hundred more you can step up to either a set of Windsor irons, or a used set of good alum heads.

Thanks.

The problem I am having is finding a set of the heads. The JY's around here don't have them at all, they seem to be very scarce. I think I will be patient and wait though anyway. I am seriously considering a set of Flo-Tek alum heads. I read an article in a magazine where they were compared to TF, AFR's and World Products. While they did not flow or make HP quite as well as the top manufacturers did, the difference was very slight and they received praise as a really great head for the money. I'm not racing, just a street car.

That's not a horrible price assuming the valves/valve seats were freshly done and are undamaged and the valve springs have been upgraded. Sounds like you might be able to talk him down into the $300 range regardless?

You'll spend at least that much reconditioning a set of stock ones right off an Explorer anyway.

You can pick up a set of explorer/mountaineer heads for under $100 at any local JY.

lol....maybe in Florida, but almost anywhere in Canada, you'll be lucky to get one head for that price. They're going for anywhere from $200-$400 for a set here on average....and that's before you do any work to them.

I sold a set last summer fresh off a '96 Explorer...didn't even have a chance to clean them up. Threw them up on Kijiji for $300 and had them sold within a day. The guy didn't even try to talk me down.

That's not a horrible price assuming the valves/valve seats were freshly done and are undamaged and the valve springs have been upgraded. Sounds like you might be able to talk him down into the $300 range regardless?

You'll spend at least that much reconditioning a set of stock ones right off an Explorer anyway.

lol....maybe in Florida, but almost anywhere in Canada, you'll be lucky to get one head for that price. They're going for anywhere from $200-$400 for a set here on average....and that's before you do any work to them.

I sold a set last summer fresh off a '96 Explorer...didn't even have a chance to clean them up. Threw them up on Kijiji for $300 and had them sold within a day. The guy didn't even try to talk me down.

*****************************************************************************************************

No offense to any Canadians:

Mike, we certainly have it good down here in Florida:banana: Truth is, like supply and demand dictates: where there is plenty, the price must fall. The weather is nice here in South Fla. all the time (relitively) so junkyards are popular places to go and hangout - at least for gearheads. I sometimes go for an all-day event and pay actually more than often nothing for some of my parts. If its plastic often they just give it to you if you buy other metal stuff.

As it goes for selling used heads and stuff; If they can sell a "Potato Chip" on ebay for a large sum of $$$, then there is a fool waiting to buy anything at any price! This thread Poster is doing it right, investigating.

Be patient friend, an awsome set of heads will come...

Yes patience is key I did some electric work for a guy and he gave me a whole 96 explorer. I pulled the motor and junked the rest it still had factory hatching on the cylinder walls!. Got the heads I needed and an extra block for 4 hours of.work. some people don't know what they have.

*****************************************************************************************************

No offense to any Canadians

None taken. You are correct though...it is supply and demand. The OP's nearest major wrecking yard is nearly 2-hours away from him. As stated, those heads generally run anywhere from $200-$400 a pair within 500km of most area's. It's true though, they can be had cheaper else ware....and if shipping costs were more reasonable, we would all have the option. Unfortunately, those costs being what they are, he'd have $200 in shipping, brokerage and duty alone into the heads before they even got to his door...and that's on top of what he'd pay for the heads in the first place. So you can see why they're not a very feasible option for a lot of us folk North of the US border.

Ah well....it's the price you pay to live in an area with 4-seasons I suppose. :canada:

That being said....yes, the deals are out there. I had to drive 4-hours for it, but picked up an entire running '96 Ford Explorer engine for $300. I ended up selling the heads alone for what I paid for the entire engine. Traded the intake and a couple of random parts for a used ZEX Nitrous kit and used the long block as the basis for my new stroker engine. Sometimes you'll wait months for stuff to come alone and other times they just fall into your lap. Just gotta be ready.

Yup, I'm thinking that even paying $300 for a set that needs work then another $140 per side for the valve work ($140 per side assuming the valve guides don't need replacing, otherwise more $$), then another $30 for new valve seals, + springs likely puts me in at $650-700+ with tanking etc. I can get new aluminum Flo-Teks for $739 so I think I'm going to go that route. The Flo-Teks don't make quite as much torque or HP as TF or AFR's but they flow decent (Car Craft Magazine tested them against 7 other manufacturers under $1000), come with 1.4" dia. springs that will accommodate .550 lift on a Hyd roller cam (I'm using a Comp 281HR with .512) and I don't have to bother with the 'what about the...' issues. I already have Crane Gold rockers to install so a better choice all round I'm thinking.

Not to make you feel any worse, but here is the price list from our local u pull it for heads.....

head price per core charge

HEAD ALM/BARE 70.62 10.00
HEAD ALUM (W/CAMS) 90.00 12.00
HEAD IRON (BARE) 38.82 5.00
HEAD IRON (W/ROCKERS) 54.36 7.00
I saw 3 or 4 explorer or mountaineers with the 5.0 V8 last time I went.

I'd Pass. Do they have the stock springs? Who ported them and do you have a flow sheet? I've seen some bad home port jobs. With any used head you are taking a risk and at a minimum they should be sent out for cleaning and checking of the guides. valves, trueness, magnaflux or sonic tested for cracks,etc.

You can pick up a set of explorer/mountaineer heads for under $100 at any local JY. Send them off to the machine shop to check the items above, add a set of TFS springs, and for about the same price as the heads this guys has you have a decent set of heads that are not a question mark when you throw them on the engine.

Bottom line is those heads are a dime a dozen and for a few hundred more you can step up to either a set of Windsor irons, or a used set of good alum heads.

I agree 100%. Unless the port job was done by someone reputable, i'd pass based on the fact that I'd always question if they were ported properly, or by someone who just "hogged" them out.

GT-40P heads can be had cheap. I bought my pair for $200 off a low mileage truck. That was off someone on CL, and not a wrecking yard.

If prices are higher due to location, and if you plan on putting more $$ into the heads, maybe you should reevaluate if after spending $500+ or so on heads + headwork, do you really want those heads ot be GT-40P's? I'm not knocking GT-40Ps as i've seen plenty of 300+ rwhp combos...but the whole point of getting 40Ps was their cost. When you start tossing on new springs, 3-angle valve jobs, decking, etc...is your $$ better invested into a true performance head rather than a cast iron truck head?

Reactions: 1 user