Engine GT40 heads, intake and cam

fully

Aug 3, 2020
Saskatoon
So there is a guy near me selling heads intake cam just wondering if it a good deal or not. I know I can get them for way cheaper at JY but these are ready to go. And the v8 are hard to find up here. My car is a 88 gt so it’s speed density so not sure if th cam will work. Here is his listing. I already have shorty headers. Unsure of what brand and if they would work or not

Gt40p 58 cc small block heads
158 cc intake runners cleaned up
58 cc exhaust runners cleaned up
1.90 undercut stainless intake valves
155 undercut stainless exhaust valves
bronze guides
dual hr springs .510 lift
titanium retainers
comp camp 1.6 roller rockers
Ford racing gt40p short tube headers for fox body and sn95 mustangs
super thick gaskets
35-518-8 comp cam brand new
comp cam 4835-8 guide plates
Explorer gt 40 upper and lower intakes
about 3500 km on the heads and headers
Heads and headers $1600, $350 for the intake, $350 for the cam. $2000 for everything

• Sponsors (?)

If you engine is 100% stock, that cam with SD would be too big without an appropriate tune. If wanting to keep ECU and stay speed density, I would do Explorer intakes (and TB if you can find one - 65mm vs our stock 60mm). I don't know if the better flowing heads would mess with the SD.

As for pricing... WOW. Those are crazy prices. I realize the seller is looking to get all their money out of what they put into them (parts and labor), but WOW.

Heads and headers price, you can buy some decent aftermarket aluminum heads that will outperform the GT40P's by a long shot for that price. If you find an Explorer at the JY/Pick-a-part yard, most would charge $150-200 for the pair of heads. You would want to upgrade springs for sure ($150 or so) and if the rest of the heads look okay, I would put them on and run them.

Intakes, while they would give a benefit they are high priced. Again at JY, I have picked them up for $40-60 for upper and lower. I think eBay is overpriced when I see them over $200 for the pair.

Now I have no experience with a speed density computer but I think an aftermarket cam is what usually gives the computer fits. I think the flow gains from the intakes should not cause issue. The heads possibly could give some improvements without pissing off the computer, but I would keep the stock cam. I think you could gain 20-40 hp, but dyno tuning may be required.

Good luck, but I think there are better options out there.

Speaking on the pricing only, waaay to high! I practically gave away a set of GT-40s that were identical to what he had, except had screw in rocker arms and guide-plates for $350, they just needed a valve job. My thought is $750-800 for the heads and headers and $150 for the intake, if it is the earlier EGR version that will accept the sensors in the lower manifold. Keep your stock cam for the SD. Just my .02 worth. He'll be setting on that stuff for quite a while at his current prices.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Did a shop go through those heads? If so, is there paperwork?

$1600 for GT40Ps is probably the highest I’ve ever seen them listed for otherwise of buying them direct from a rebuilder with a warranty. I would say if you are going this route, look around and just buy them from a performance shop and actually get a warranty with the heads

I’m gonna stop short at saying “just buy xyz heads instead” because I understand the scope creep that comes with better parts. Those fancy aluminum heads now require different pushrods and rockers and possibly even new pistons. The GT40 combo is a often-done combo and I’m not knocking it, but your entry price is going to be pretty high compared to wgat pthers have done:

You’ll also want to toss a mass air conversion in as well as speed density doesn’t do well with most cams. There are some that will work but I venture to guess that isn’t one. You can certainly keep your stock cam and 1.7s and you’ll retain drivability. But if you swap figure another $500 for the ECU and parts.

I sold a pair of Gt40ps a few years ago for $40. They were listed at $100 for months with no bites and finally I just wanted them gone. Of course, that’s a set of off-the-truck heads that i degreased and did new valve seals on. For $1600 id want to know where the value is. The springs can be had for $200ish with retainers and such and titanium retainers are overkill for the street (and generally not used).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda figured he was way high on price. Just didn’t know if the work done to the heads was enough to justify. I didn’t think that cam would work in a SD car. I know where a complete engine trans and transfer case is out of a 98 explorer for $900.

I know where a complete engine trans and transfer case is out of a 98 explorer for $900.
See if you can get the motor only for half that. If you do get it, verify which heads are on it. I know 98 is GT40P's, but the first pair of Explorer heads I ever pulled were from a 98 and it had 3-bar GT40's. My guess is they were replaced early on in the vehicles life and regular GT40's were the ones put back on.

Save your money, convert the car to mass air and do it once and right with quality aluminum heads.
That's $2000 in boat anchors as far as I'm concerned. I probably would say no to that list if you gave it all to me for free.

See if you can get the motor only for half that. If you do get it, verify which heads are on it. I know 98 is GT40P's, but the first pair of Explorer heads I ever pulled were from a 98 and it had 3-bar GT40's. My guess is they were replaced early on in the vehicles life and regular GT40's were the ones put back on.
Yeah I could always ask and see

If you engine is 100% stock, that cam with SD would be too big without an appropriate tune. If wanting to keep ECU and stay speed density, I would do Explorer intakes (and TB if you can find one - 65mm vs our stock 60mm). I don't know if the better flowing heads would mess with the SD.

As for pricing... WOW. Those are crazy prices. I realize the seller is looking to get all their money out of what they put into them (parts and labor), but WOW.

Heads and headers price, you can buy some decent aftermarket aluminum heads that will outperform the GT40P's by a long shot for that price. If you find an Explorer at the JY/Pick-a-part yard, most would charge $150-200 for the pair of heads. You would want to upgrade springs for sure ($150 or so) and if the rest of the heads look okay, I would put them on and run them.

Intakes, while they would give a benefit they are high priced. Again at JY, I have picked them up for $40-60 for upper and lower. I think eBay is overpriced when I see them over $200 for the pair.

Now I have no experience with a speed density computer but I think an aftermarket cam is what usually gives the computer fits. I think the flow gains from the intakes should not cause issue. The heads possibly could give some improvements without pissing off the computer, but I would keep the stock cam. I think you could gain 20-40 hp, but dyno tuning may be required.

Good luck, but I think there are better options out there.
How would the GT40P heads be with a comp cam 35-556-8? Also, would these heads work with BBK 1 5/8 shorty headers? If not, any other suggestions? I already have Explorer upper/lower, Cobra MAF, upgraded TB. The cam is not yet installed, as I want to do it all at once once I pop the top end open. Thanks for any input.

How would the GT40P heads be with a comp cam 35-556-8? Also, would these heads work with BBK 1 5/8 shorty headers? If not, any other suggestions? I already have Explorer upper/lower, Cobra MAF, upgraded TB. The cam is not yet installed, as I want to do it all at once once I pop the top end open. Thanks for any input.
That cam is way too big for those heads... Watch this video. 5L5 turned me on to this and it really helped me with my cam decision with my "P" heads....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPAeepqrY-0

Last edited:
  • Useful