Engine GT40 heads upgrade

so, Im getting a E303 cam and GT40 heads from an explorer, my question is regarding the intake. I havent sourced one yet, but im just curious about what negative side effects might happen if i dont do a GT40 intake manifold. its an 88 LX 5.0 and im wanting to do some scca events this summer with it, so im hoping to avoid any bad surprises if i dont do the intake

• Sponsors (?)

so, Im getting a E303 cam and GT40 heads from an explorer, my question is regarding the intake. I havent sourced one yet, but im just curious about what negative side effects might happen if i dont do a GT40 intake manifold. its an 88 LX 5.0 and im wanting to do some scca events this summer with it, so im hoping to avoid any bad surprises if i dont do the intake
Any gains you make off the GT-40P Explorer heads and E-303 cam will be lost by using a stock intake. If your going through all the trouble of a heads and cam swap, put on an intake that won't choke your upgrades. Explorer intakes are cheap, if you want to drive to San Antonio, I'll sell you mine for $150, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Any gains you make off the GT-40P Explorer heads and E-303 cam will be lost by using a stock intake. If your going through all the trouble of a heads and cam swap, put on an intake that won't choke your upgrades. Explorer intakes are cheap, if you want to drive to San Antonio, I'll sell you mine for $150, lol.
i was hoping that wouldnt be the case. Ill check around to see what i can source locally. I have a guy coming up from Florida to SoDak (where im at) and he said that the parts are plentiful down there and reasonably priced

I see used explorer intakes both EGR and non EGR on ebay and you can get them from a pick and pull or order them from the online junkyard carpart.com at a pretty good price. Just search 1996 Ford Explorer with 5.0 V8

sounds good! The gentleman doing the work for me should be here this week and hes quite resourceful when it comes to getting parts. I let him know that i want to do the intake too and he made it seem the exact same as yall said, easy enough to source and we will have it ripped apart anyways, so it would be silly not to do it. I have a 92 gt ECU in it and have the MAF installed too. Am i going to need to have that ECU tuned? Im imagining so. Forgive my newb-ness, this is my first V8 and i have been learning a TON from trying to stay out of the way, yet see what they guy has been doing under the hood. For instance, i went thru 3 alternators and he came over and fiddled with the pigtail and boom... it works... I wouldnt have ever figured that out LOL!!! I havent cut-n-replaced the pigtail yet, but it looks very simple and i have the part in the tool chest, 6 ft in front of the car itself. But its crap like that where im super glad that someone is doing the work who is that familiar with the foxes

i was hoping that wouldnt be the case. Ill check around to see what i can source locally. I have a guy coming up from Florida to SoDak (where im at) and he said that the parts are plentiful down there and reasonably priced

The intake is as much if not more of a restriction that the heads. You’ll be lucky to pick of 15 HP without do the intake.
Consider getting a more modern cam than the E303. It’s 110* LSA can give lots of idle and low speed bucking issues.

The intake is as much if not more of a restriction that the heads. You’ll be lucky to pick of 15 HP without do the intake.
Consider getting a more modern cam than the E303. It’s 110* LSA can give lots of idle and low speed bucking issues.

i dont know what you mean by the 110* LSA reply

edit: nvm, google to the rescue LOL i figured it out

Last edited:
The E303 cam is pretty dated although it is a decent cam. See FTI website for a good cam alternative for the GT40 setup. It may be a bit pricey but Ed Curtis knows his stuff

I laughed at the “properly” ported intake comment in the listing.

anyone who’s frequented Corral.net lately knows exactly what that’s a dig against.

Honestly, I wouldn’t overthink this combo too much. What are your goals here? Fun street car?

a buddy of mine put together a simple combo years ago. GT40 iron heads, B303 cam, cobra intake, 65mm TB, headers, h-pipe and cat-back. Had e-fan and pullies as well.

was a very fun, reliable combo. Idled well with stock ECU, and was fun to drive, even with factory 3.08s

Your certainly welcome to explore all options, but I think a combo like that would make you plenty happy, unless you really need every possible HP you can get out of those heads.

Reactions: 2 users
The E303 cam is pretty dated although it is a decent cam. See FTI website for a good cam alternative for the GT40 setup. It may be a bit pricey but Ed Curtis knows his stuff

I put an E303 in my ‘86 along with TW heads, roller rockers and Edelbrock Performer intake a couple of years ago. If I were to redo it, I’d go with a different cam.