gt40p combustion chamber porting to 70+cc?

ryan7662

Sep 15, 2007
Hello again everybody, anyone know a lot about porting. I want to increase my gt40p heads combustion chamber from 58 to 74-80cc if possible. I notice that the combustion chamber isn't a full circle and leans more toward the exhaust side of the head. Can I widen out the chamber towards the intake side of the head and increase the combustion chamber volume? If so is there anyway to tell how much material I should remove. I need to lower the compression for my 81mm ball bearing turbo. I'll have a 4340 3.75"stroke crank, 6.2" rods, and kb step dished pistons from summit. Could I lower the compression by using a shorter rod? I figure I can go as low as 7:5:1 with my turbo. Any help would be greatly appreciated:shrug::hail2::hail2::hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

i would talk to some eng builder. i dont think u can remove that much to help.
i was doing a bbf and was looking at going to a shorter rod because i found piston that was 6.800 rod but i had rod 6.700. i had a good eng builder tell me no on that. he said that it has to be so far from the cylinder head and that would be to much. i would get another set of heads with the right cc and i would not go down that far in compression

Yeah I was shooting for around 8:0:1 actually. Could I instead maybe take some material off the step dished forged keith black pistons. Already got the heads and just drilled them out for 1/2' studs and don't really want to switch them anytime soon. I gotta spend my money on forged internals instead and keep the restrictive gt40ps for now. I haven't bought the pistons yet but I can't seem to find low comp pistons for a 383 stroker anywhere. Thanks for the input man:)

I would search around for different pistons. Check JE and probe they have some pretty big dishes. I will be just under 8:5 with an off the shelf JE and 60cc head. I think you would be asking for trouble, if its even possible to mess with the p's.

If it was me I wouldnt, unless you can find a machine shop to do it and take off equal amounts to each piston to keep them the same weight. I think your best bet would be ditch the heads. I know it sucks but there are deals to be had. Dont ruin a $400 set of pistons for a $100 set of heads.

:jaw:AAARRGH.......I know your right man. I've been trying to deny the truth but i can't when its corn-holing me like it is. I'll just push my 84lx 383turbo project back and finish next july-aug instead of march. Oh well....... leaves me plenty of time for my sn95 dash/full interior conversion and diy body kit. Not trying to sound rude or anything I actually wanna thank you for helping me to not make a mistake with my build. I can go a extra 4months without driving her to get the right heads.