gunna build a 408. any recomendations? and what pistons should i run for nitrous?

LETHALFORDS

May 28, 2009
i have a 351w i decided to build a 408 stroker.
anyone know any cheap places to look for kits or heads or anything?

oh and what would be the best pistons to run with nitrous?

• Sponsors (?)

flat tops with 11:1 compression will work well with juice. If its a race motor go with a dome piston and 13:1 CR.

head choices is going to determine what piston you can run

I would not waste your time with stock heads. The aftermarket heads not only flow better they have a much more efficient combustion chamber and are aluminum.

That poor 408 will peak power at 4000rpm. I guess if you’re building a low rpm engine then by all means use a stock head.

You would be better off sinking money into a good set of heads then dropping money into the stroker assy for a 351 and skimp on the top end. If your going to build something don’t go half way, build it right the first time. Instead of down the road wishing you did that or this different.

Also I caution you if you stay with a cast iron heads if you hurt it with the nos, it is much harder to repair and more expensive then the same repair on an aluminum heads.

Scott

ya whatever just thought i would ask around and see what people thought!!!
no need to be a jackass.. just wanted to see people with more experiance thought!!! this is my first stroker build! so thank guys who actually said somehting that i could use or think about

he's just foolin around. You'll either want to save up, wait or come up with a different game plan instead of using the trick flow heads. I don't think the ported 351's would be a bad idea especially if that's all your budget permits. Remember if you use 302 parts you will get 302 power.

I put the smaller heads on my car and I wish I didn't. You'll think to yourself - "hey this will be enough power for me" But trust me there is never enough. I would look at the classifieds to see if you could land a good used set. But be careful........sometimes the machine work to get them to spec will cost you as much as the new set once the difference is added up.

i wasnt trying to be an ass, just saying, search around the forums, and magazines so that you make the decision that you are good with... there is alot of info out there on big inch strokers

You don't want to use 302 heads on a 408 you need to get 351 specific heads otherwise your motor will suffocate

Really? Please tell me the difference between 302 and 351 heads besides head bolt size. My Twisted Wedge heads that I'm putting on my 302 would do just fine on a stroked 351. Even more so if I sent them out to Fox Lake or another company like that.

Really? Please tell me the difference between 302 and 351 heads besides head bolt size. My Twisted Wedge heads that I'm putting on my 302 would do just fine on a stroked 351. Even more so if I sent them out to Fox Lake or another company like that.

He was refering to a TW head from a 302 that his buddy had... yes they would bolt up, but they are far from good for a 408.

If you think that a port that works well on a 302, would do "just fine" on a motor with 50+ cubes, then you must not care about making serious HP, or using the motor to its full potential