Guys, I Need Some Opinions On A Build.

E36

Dec 24, 2016
Ok, so I'm building a 5.0 for an e36 swap project. I bought a mountaineer engine that supposedly had 76k on it. Opened it up and it didn't look great. Combustion chambers had ALOT of carbon in them. I ended up coming across a new sportsman B50 block for a decent price. So I bought it and thats what ill be using. I'm now piecing my build components together.

I have a TFS1 cam
24# injectors
75mm pro m maf(calibrated for 24s), 70mm throttle body
aeromotive fuel rails
New oil pump w/ hardened rod
Mallory dist/steel gear
Master blaster coil
Gt40p intake
Lunati 1.7 RR
New roller lifters
New scat forged I beam connecting rods

Probably end up going with gt40x or twisted wedge heads.

I'm looking to eventually getting to 350whp. The question at the moment is, can/should I use the cast steel crank out of the mountaineer engine after taking it to the machine shop? Can it support a life of dailying? I've been trying to find answers on stock crank strength, but everything I've seen turns into a "the stock block will fail first" discussion. If not eagle says their cast steel cranks are stronger, I've always heard eagle is hit or miss. But they are the only ones I'm seeing with a 3.000 stroke cast steel crank. Should I give in to the idea of spending 600-700 on a forged crank... which would surely be overkill.

Also since I'd like to drive it, alot. Would you guys recommend forged or hyper pistons at this power level? I was looking into the sealed power sets. I've read hypers are better for daily, but do not take on power adders well. I don't plan on putting FI on it. That could change in the future if I ended up with a forged crank (at that point why not if I have a bottom end that supports it).

Idk, I've researched my mind into circles. Some one school me on Sbf building and give me some opinions. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

First off you have to make a plan, spirited daily driver, drag, corner carver, also future aspersions, possibility of forced induction, I'm not familiar with sportsman blocks, sounds better than stock.
Some others on here can help if you give us some idea of what your expectations are.

Stock crank is fine. Might need to get it turned to just clean it up. Your block will give up on you first.

Hypereutectic pistons will also be fine.

Just sit and think right now for awhile though. Will you eventually want to go forced induction? If so, maybe go ahead and plunk down the coin for forged internals.

My '86 Has a stock turned crank with hyper pistons. I have gt40x heads as well. If you can afford the extra, I would buy the trick flow heads, they're just so much better. In retrospect, I would change a lot about my engine. But the crank and pistons I'm not worried about. I'm running right at 350 at the crank, so maybe a hopeful 300 at the rear wheels.

How many people even know what an "e 36" is?

Kinda blew past most of us here didn't it?

Not all of us.

1998_BMW_328i1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Blowed past me like a nitro funny car but I was sure someone would either ask or spill the beans, I really thought it might be some type of fuel like e85 or something, I'm so behind the times.
I still wanna F cam

The stock crank will be fine...like everyone else said. We've got a bunch of cool swap cars going on here. I likes it !

I am not opposed to swapping a ford drivetrain into anything. Although I personally have only swapped a SBF into two different jap cars,..I think the BMW is just beggin for the reliablity of that engine in place of the complicated piece that used to be there.

BMW's, at least the newer ones make heroes out of mediocre drivers because of all complicated systems that are measuring hundreds of things w/ regard to vehicle stability. (That's why BMW drivers have the rep for being pricks,.....they trust the car to keep them safe so they can do stupid sht.)

But take that engine out of the equation, throw a 5.0 in it's place, and disable all of that stability control junk, throw a carb on it, and you get little more than a fox Mustang.

Reactions: 1 user
First off you have to make a plan, spirited daily driver, drag, corner carver, also future aspersions, possibility of forced induction, I'm not familiar with sportsman blocks, sounds better than stock.
Some others on here can help if you give us some idea of what your expectations are.
definitely a spirited daily. Might see the track once or twice, maybe some autocross eventually. I just like wrenching for the most part.

Thanks guys, that answers those questions and even better saves me money. Considering the internals I'll be going with i will stay away from forced induction.

Now with the TFS heads I know they offer twisted wedge pistons from probe and some other companies since they changed the valve positioning. From what I've seen, those aren't absolutely Necessary with the stage 1 cam correct? Or am I mistaken. I noticed they were also not included in the TFS 1 top end kit so that kind of reinforced my thinking.

Sorry for all the questions, just got to a point where I needed some experienced advice. A little back ground on what I'm doing, it is a 98 bmw 328i sedan. Originally had a 2.8l in line 6 with 204k on the clock.

I am not opposed to swapping a ford drivetrain into anything. Although I personally have only swapped a SBF into two different jap cars,..I think the BMW is just beggin for the reliablity of that engine in place of the complicated piece that used to be there.

BMW's, at least the newer ones make heroes out of mediocre drivers because of all complicated systems that are measuring hundreds of things w/ regard to vehicle stability. (That's why BMW drivers have the rep for being pricks,.....they trust the car to keep them safe so they can do stupid sht.)

But take that engine out of the equation, throw a 5.0 in it's place, and disable all of that stability control junk, throw a carb on it, and you get little more than a fox Mustang.

I'm going efi route, but I agree. After its all said and done I hope to have a great hanging car with some torque with it. The I6 specs were 190hp/210ftlbs. With alum heads the weight diffrence shouldnt be too big of a diffrence. A couple years ago I replaced all the struts with koni's.

I'm going efi route, but I agree. After its all said and done I hope to have a great hanging car with some torque with it. The I6 specs were 190hp/210ftlbs. With alum heads the weight diffrence shouldnt be too big of a diffrence. A couple years ago I replaced all the struts with koni's.
Well the irony here is that I've swapped a I-6 into my project......only I think mine will make a little more power than your old 2.8.
Just a little.
I originally planned to road race the Monster,...but after driving BMWs,..I'm confident that I'll wad up my car as a direct result of me pushing it beyond my ability to control the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Well the irony here is that I've swapped a I-6 into my project......only I think mine will make a little more power than your old 2.8.
Just a little.
I originally planned to road race the Monster,...but after driving BMWs,..I'm confident that I'll wad up my car as a direct result of me pushing it beyond my ability to control the car.
inline 6 with more power... hmm 1j or 2j? I have a buddy that just got his 1j running in his s13 240sx.

definitely a spirited daily. Might see the track once or twice, maybe some autocross eventually. I just like wrenching for the most part.

Thanks guys, that answers those questions and even better saves me money. Considering the internals I'll be going with i will stay away from forced induction.

Now with the TFS heads I know they offer twisted wedge pistons from probe and some other companies since they changed the valve positioning. From what I've seen, those aren't absolutely Necessary with the stage 1 cam correct? Or am I mistaken. I noticed they were also not included in the TFS 1 top end kit so that kind of reinforced my thinking.

Sorry for all the questions, just got to a point where I needed some experienced advice. A little back ground on what I'm doing, it is a 98 bmw 328i sedan. Originally had a 2.8l in line 6 with 204k on the clock.
That head/cam will be fine for stock Pistons. No need for aftermarket/tfs specific Pistons. The only area of concern is the 1.7 rockers. This might make ptv clearance issues(always check with a cam change anyways) but again shouldn't be a problem. If there is clearance issues just swap to 1.6 rockers. Very little performance difference between the two anyway.

I've actually seen one of those. The sound of the car threw me off, had to find out what happened. I guess it's a fairly common swap then?
common, its been done quiet a few times. but of course the lsx swaps are way more common. the engine that was in it was just ungodly expensive to build for the amount of out put it would of had. like $1300 for after market cam shafts.

That head/cam will be fine for stock Pistons. No need for aftermarket/tfs specific Pistons. The only area of concern is the 1.7 rockers. This might make ptv clearance issues(always check with a cam change anyways) but again shouldn't be a problem. If there is clearance issues just swap to 1.6 rockers. Very little performance difference between the two anyway.
dually noted, thank you.

Ok,..Ok,..It was a little greasy.

This is after about a dollars worth of quarters at the car wash:
FCB137B8-5884-44D0-A2CA-5DB190F7FDFA_zpsrwxhgqkn.jpg
Ok,..Ok,..It was a little greasy.

This is after about a dollars worth of quarters at the car wash:
FCB137B8-5884-44D0-A2CA-5DB190F7FDFA_zpsrwxhgqkn.jpg
[/QUOTE]

ok that's badass. lol.